Wood with the Kansas City Royals
Born: August 8, 1985|
|May 12, 2010 for the Kansas City Royals|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.39|
Blake Daniel Wood (born August 8, 1985) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Kansas City Royals and Cleveland Indians.
Prior to playing professionally, he attended North Gwinnett High School and then Georgia Tech. In the summer of 2004, Wood pitched in the Alaska Baseball League for the Anchorage Bucs, and in the summer of 2005 played in the Cape Cod League for the Y-D Red Sox.
Kansas City Royals
Wood was drafted in the third round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft by the Royals, and he began his professional career that season. Playing for the Idaho Falls Chukars, he went 3-1 with a 4.50 ERA in 12 starts.
He pitched for three teams in 2007 - the AZL Royals (0-0, 0.00 ERA in four starts), the Burlington Bees (2-1, 3.03 ERA in seven starts) and the Wilmington Blue Rocks (0-1, 4.66 ERA in two starts) - going a combined 2-2 with a 2.78 ERA in 13 starts.
In 2008, Wood pitched for the Blue Rocks (3-2, 2.67 ERA in 10 starts) and Northwest Arkansas Naturals (5-7, 5.30 ERA in 18 starts), going a combined 8-9 with a 4.25 ERA in 28 starts. In 144 innings, he allowed only 128 hits.
Though he spent three games (two starts) with the AZL Royals in 2009, he spent most of the season with the Naturals, going 2-8 with a 5.83 ERA in 17 games (13 starts) with them. Overall, he went 2-9 with a 5.55 ERA in 2009.
Wood made his MLB debut for the Royals on May 12, 2010. Wood went 6-6 with a 4.30 ERA in 106 appearances in two seasons with the Royals.
On December 2, 2013, Wood signed a one-year Major League deal for 2014 with the Indians, avoiding arbitration.
On May 26, 2014 the Indians designated Wood for assignment.
Return to Kansas City
Wood signed a minor league deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates on November 18, 2014.
- Minor league statistics
- Kaegal, Dick (May 18, 2012). "Duffy, Wood both need Tommy John surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Two on Royals to get Tommy John". ESPN.com. Associated Press. May 18, 2012. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Indians claim RHP Blake Wood". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 2, 2012. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Cleveland Indians sign RHP Blake Wood to 1-year deal, avoid arbitration with deadline looming". Fox News. Associated Press. November 30, 2012. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Popely, Joe (May 27, 2014). "Swisher lands on DL; Santana to concussion list". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Kaegal, Dick (June 2, 2014). "Royals get reliever Wood back on waivers". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Royals activate Hosmer amid series of moves". ESPN.com. Associated Press. September 1, 2014. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)