|Headquarters||Westlake, Ohio, U.S.|
|Jesse Bell, founder|
|Slogan||"Building brands is our business"|
Bonne Bell is a cosmetics company which focuses on products targeted for young women. The company was best known for its astringent face cleanser, 10-0-6 lotion. Originally marketed as an all-purpose freshener, it later became popular as a treatment for acne, and was flanked with new formulas for oily and sensitive skin. 10-0-6 was discontinued in 1998, but has been relaunched as "Ten-O-Six". Bonne Bell has also expanded into an entire range of makeup products, the most famous of which was Lip Smackers.
Bonne Bell was founded in 1927 in Lakewood, Ohio by cosmetics salesman Jesse Bell, who named it after his daughter. Bell made his products on a hot plate in his basement and then sold his skin care products door to door.
In 2007 the company largely relocated to Australia, and reduced American domestic representation. The relocation was largely at the request of the Vice President of Ideation, Hilary Bell to the then CMO, James Ward, in a bid to globalize the "Smackers" Brand. By 2009, the company had returned to the United States.
In January 2015, the company announced that the Bonne Bell and Lip Smackers brands would be acquired by Markwins International, though Bonne Bell will continue to distribute other brands in Europe, Asia, and Australia under the name Bell Family Brands. In accordance, the company also announced the partial closure of its headquarters effective March 2015.
In 1973 Bonne Bell introduced a flavored lip pomade called "Lip Smackers" aimed at the preteen market. The first flavor created was strawberry. Later flavors included watermelon and vanilla, among others. Lip Smackers are flavored and scented like fruits, candies, and soft drinks and are billed as "the Original Fun Lip Glosses." Some varieties are tinted, while others are frosted or sparkly. There have been other variations known as Lip D'Votion and Lip Lix (with added color). Bonne Bell also makes special seasonal assortments for holidays, such as Christmas. Bonne Bell has expanded their line to include nail polish, hair products, fragrances and bath enhancers as well.
Bonne Bell has partnered its Lip Smackers brand with many confectionery brands with Dr Pepper/7UP, Mars, Kraft Foods, and The Coca-Cola Company. They have also partnered with many characters including Herself The Elf, Mattel's Barbie, Disney's Cheetah Girls, and more recently Paul Frank. They also make a "biggie" lipsmacker, which is a very large version of a normal lipsmacker and come in flavors such as strawberry, watermelon, and cotton candy.
- "Encyclopedia of Cleveland History:BONNE BELL, INC". Ech.cwru.edu. 2003-08-18. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "The Bonne Bell Company F.A.Q". Retrieved 2015-02-01.
- "Bonne Bell Co. to close its operations in Westlake, sell iconic Lip Smacker brand". Crain's Cleveland Business. 2015-01-30. Retrieved 2015-02-01.
- "The Bonne Bell Co. is closing and employees will be laid off". 2015-01-30. Retrieved 2015-02-01.
- "The Bonne Bell Company | Color and Flavor Shop | LIP SMACKER | Seasonal Collections". Color and Flavor Shop. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "The Bonne Bell Company | Color and Flavor Shop | LIP SMACKER | Lip Smacker Collections | Dr Pepper and Friends". Color and Flavor Shop. Retrieved 2012-03-04.