June 10, 1980|
|Height||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Weight||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu3rd degree black belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Braulio de Oliveira Estima is a 3rd degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He received his black belt from Carlos Gracie, Jr. on January 4, 2004. Throughout his grappling career, he has won in many Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments across the world, such as the Mundials, ADCC, Pan American Championship, and European Championship. His long list of accomplishments has made him well respected among other Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners, such that some consider him one of the top Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners in the world.
Braulio Estima was born on June 10, 1980 in Recife, Brazil. He was first exposed to martial arts at the young age of 9, where he was introduced to Judo. However, a year later, his judo instructor suffered an untimely death, which caused Estima to take a break from martial arts. Six years later, he decided to come back and began training Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at the Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu Academy.
Early Grappling Career
Braulio Estima was first under the tutelage of Charles Dos Anjos when he first began training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie Barra. In less than one year of training, he captured 5 major junior titles in the white belt division, and as a result, was promoted to blue belt. When Dos Anjos left the academy, Ze Radiola took over as Estima's mentor and teacher. In 1999, after 3 years of training, Estima won his first Pan-American Championship as a blue belt. He was then promoted to purple belt soon after. Following more successful tournament showings, such as the bronze medal at the Pan-American Championship in 2000, he was promoted to brown belt. He went on to win gold for three straight years (2001-2003) in the Pan-American Championship as a brown belt.
Late Grappling Career
At the end of 2002, Maurição Gomes invited Estima to teach at the Gracie Barra Academy in Birmingham, England to replace him. Estima accepted Maurição's offer and made Birmingham his permanent home. He continues to teach there to this day with the help of his brother Victor Estima and Otavio Souza. Since then, Braulio has taught several respected UK grapplers such as Graham Keys, Tom Barlow and Luke Costello.
On January 4, 2004, Estima received his black belt from Carlos Gracie Jr. Five months after this, Estima won the Mundials in the 85 kg weight division. This victory made him well respected among other Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners because he was only a black belt for 5 months when he won the tournament. Two years later, Estima went on to win the 2006 Mundials and Pan American Championship and eventually captured all the major titles when he won the European Championship, Mundials, and ADCC in 2009.
Mixed Martial Arts
Estima is currently training for his future mixed martial arts debut. MMA organization Shine Fights signed him to a multi-fight deal and he was scheduled to debut against Rick Hawn on Shine Fights: Worlds Collide in May 2010. However, the entire card was scrapped following the loss of the card's headliner. However, he has rescheduled his debut into MMA, choosing to make his debut for Titan Fighting Championships where he will meet Chris Holland. In 2012, Estima signed with Authentic Sports Management and now trains with MMA fighters such as Rashad Evans, Jorge Santiago, and Eddie Alvarez.
Nick Diaz Incidents
Estima was scheduled to face Nick Diaz in a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu superfight at the 2012 World Jiu-Jitsu Expo. It was expected to take place on May 12, 2012 in Long Beach, California. However, Nick Diaz did not show up to the event, claiming that Braulio did not make weight, so the fight was cancelled, however a number of people in attendance have attested that they witnessed Braulio Estima weigh in at the required weight. Braulio has since stated he would fight Nick Diaz in his own sport of MMA.[dubious ]
After UFC 158, Estima, who was a training partner for Georges St-Pierre, went backstage to go shake Diaz's hand. Nick responded by shoving him and calling him names. According to Estima, Kron Gracie was antagonizing him along with Diaz.
Estima made history when he submitted seven people in a total of 5 minutes and 24 seconds at the 2003 Pan-American Championship.
Estima currently holds the most wins at the European Championship, with a total number of 5.
Estima won via helicopter armbar in under 45 seconds during the 2003 Brazil versus USA competition.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|1 match||1 win||0 losses|
|Win||1–0||Chris Holland||Technical Submission (arm triangle choke)||Titan Fighting Championships 24||August 24, 2012||1||3:21||Kansas City, Kansas, USA||MMA debut|
- World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Cup 2010 (2nd place in Absolute and -83 kg divisions)
- World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Cup 2009 (2nd place in Absolute and 4th place in -95 kg divisions)
- 2009 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship - 88 kg and Absolute Champion
- 2011 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship - Superfight Champion
- Absolute World Cup Champion - 2006
- Absolute World Champion - 2002
- World Champion - 2004, 2006, 2009
- Grand Slam Capital Challenge Jordan - 2008 heavy weight and Absolute Champion
- Pan American Champion - 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006
- Absolute Pan American Champion - 2003
- Pan American No Gi Champion - 2008
- Absolute Pan American No Gi Champion - 2008
- European Champion - 2007, 2009, 2011
- Absolute European Champion - 2007, 2009
- Champion of the International Team - 2003, 2007
- Champion's Challenge BRAZIL X USA - 2003
- ADCC Silver Medalist - 2007
- World Silver Medalist - 2008
- 3rd placed on the World Championship - 2003
- 3rd placed on the World Championship - 2001
- 1st place on the World Championship-2001
- "Braulio Estima | BJJ Heroes: the jiu jitsu encyclopedia". BJJ Heroes. 2010-04-22. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Braulio Estima BJJ (GI) career on MARanking". Maranking.com. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "FLD's Grappling Spotlight #2: Braulio Estima". Fightlockdown.com. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "BJJTree.com". BJJTree.com. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- Karkoski, Kris (2010-05-15). ""Shine Fights: Worlds Collide" Canceled Following Loss of Mayorga vs. Thomas". MMAFrenzy.com. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Chris Holland Expected to Welcome Braulio Estima to MMA". The MMA Corner. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "BJJ Phenom Braulio Estima On His Heavily Anticipated MMA Debut". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Nick Diaz, World Champion Braulio Estima Agree to Meet in BJJ Superfight". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "UFC 158 Results: Braulio Estima claims on Facebook Nick Diaz shoved him when he tried to shake hands". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Interview with Braulio "Carcará" Estima « ADCC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BARCELONA 2009". Adccbarcelona.com. 2009-09-16. Retrieved 2013-12-21.