Broken English (2007 film)
|Directed by||Zoe Cassavetes|
|Written by||Zoe Cassavetes|
Drea de Matteo
|Music by||Scratch Massive|
|Edited by||Andrew Weisblum|
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Nora Wilder (Parker Posey), a single, career woman works at a Manhattan boutique hotel where her excellent skills in guest relations lack in the romantic department. If it is not her loving and dominant mother (Gena Rowlands) attempting to set her up that consistently fail, she has her friend’s (Drea de Matteo) disastrous blind dates to rely on as a backup for further dismay. She's surrounded by friends who are all happily engaged or romantically involved and somehow, love escapes Nora—until she meets an unusual Frenchman (Melvil Poupaud) who helps her discover life beyond her self-imposed boundaries.
- Parker Posey as Nora Wilder
- Melvil Poupaud as Julien
- Drea de Matteo as Audrey Andrews
- Tim Guinee as Mark Andrews
- Gena Rowlands as Vivien Wilder-Mann
- Peter Bogdanovich as Irving Mann
- Justin Theroux as Nick Gable
Broken English received mixed reviews. Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 64% "fresh" rating, based on 73 reviews. Jason Clark of Slant Magazine gave the film 2.5 out of 4 stars, saying, "when the picture finally resolves with the exact same ending as Richard Linklater's Before Sunset (and I mean exactly—with even the same two last lines, for God's sake), you have to wonder if Ms. Cassavetes gets out as much as her lead character eventually does." Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune called it a "promising first film with moments exceeding that promise."
- "Broken English (2007)". Box Office Mojo.
- Buchanan, Kyle (January 2012). "Parker Posey on the Glory Days of Sundance and the Perils of Modern-Day Indie Filmmaking". Vulture.
- "29th Moscow International Film Festival (2007)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Broken English". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- Clark, Jason (June 17, 2007). "Broken English - Film Review - Slant Magazine". Slant Magazine.
- Phillips, Michael (20 July 2007). "In 'Broken English,' seeds of a promising career". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2013.
- Kay, Jeremy (November 7, 2007). "Haynes, Schnabel, Reitman films lead Independent Spirit nominations". Screen International.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Broken English (2007 film).|
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.