Detroit Tigers – No. 43
Born: December 9, 1990|
|April 25, 2013 for the Detroit Tigers|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||3.45|
Bruce Rondón (born December 9, 1990) is a Venezuelan professional baseball player. A pitcher, Rondón plays for the Detroit Tigers of Major League Baseball. He made his MLB debut in 2013. With a fastball that can reach or even exceed Script error: No such module "convert"., Rondón profiles as a future closer.
Rondón signed with the Detroit Tigers organization as an international free agent on September 12, 2007. He first played with the organization in 2008 as a member of the Venezuelan Summer League Tigers (VSL). He started 13 games, compiling a 2–6 win–loss record and a 3.58 earned run average (ERA). In 2009, Rondón appeared in six games, starting the year with the Gulf Coast League Tigers (GCL). He made three starts, registering an 0–1 record and a 4.76 ERA. On July 10, he rejoined the VSL Tigers and made three relief appearances, posting an ERA of 13.50.
Rondón split the 2010 season between the GCL Tigers and the Lakeland Flying Tigers of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League (FSL), appearing in a combined total of 28 games, all of them as a reliever. He made 24 appearances in the GCL, leading the league with 15 saves. Rondón ended the season in the GCL with 20 consecutive scoreless outings and during that stretch, which covered 212⁄3 innings, he struck out 23 opponents. GCL hitters had a .133 batting average against Rondón, the best mark for all GCL relief pitchers in 2010. He was named a GCL all–star in 2010. Rondón finished the minor league season with four appearances for Lakeland, after he joined the Flying Tigers on August 24. Rondón spent all of 2011 with the West Michigan Whitecaps of the Class A Midwest League, appearing in 41 games before trouble with his right shoulder ended his season in August. He gathered 19 saves and posted a 2.03 ERA with the Whitecaps, and was named to appear in the 2011 Midwest League All-Star game Late in the year, Baseball America ranked Rondón as Detroit's 12th-highest prospect. The previous year, he had been rated 13th.
Rondón started the 2012 season on Lakeland's roster, but he was promoted to the Erie Seawolves of the Class AA Eastern League on June 20 and then to the Toledo Mud Hens of the Class AAA International League on August 7. Between the three teams, Rondón saved 29 games and posted an ERA of 1.53 while striking out 66 opponents. His save total was the third-highest for a minor leaguer. He was named to appear in the 2012 All-Star Futures Game. He retired two hitters on four fastballs, with one fastball registering Script error: No such module "convert". on the Kaufman Stadium radar gun.
Rondón was recognized as Detroit's Minor League Pitcher of the Year and in June, he was the organization's Minor League Pitcher of the Month. Baseball America picked Rondón as the top reliever in both the Eastern League and the FSL.
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski referred to Rondón as a "rare talent" after the 2012 season, and indicated that he could become the Tigers closer in 2013. Rondón struggled early in spring training, but began to improve with mechanical changes. The Tigers optioned Rondon to Toledo for the start of the 2013 season. They promoted him to the major leagues on April 23, but did not use him as their closer. He made his Major League debut on April 25, 2013 against the Kansas City Royals. He entered the game in relief in the eighth inning. His first batter faced was Billy Butler, who singled to right field. His pitching line for this first inning was two hits, one run scored.
Bruce returned to Toledo in early May, where he posted 14 saves and a 1.52 ERA, with 40 strikeouts and 13 walks in 29.2 innings. The Tigers recalled him to the major league club on June 28, 2013.
Expected to be one of the Tigers' primary setup men for 2014, on March 21 it was announced that Rondón would undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right elbow. After the procedure, Rondón missed the entire 2014 season.
Rondón relies heavily on a hard four-seam fastball in the Script error: No such module "convert". range, which he consistently throws at or above Script error: No such module "convert". regularly. His other pitches include a slider in the Script error: No such module "convert". range, a changeup in the Script error: No such module "convert". range, and an occasional sinker in the upper 90s, which he is still developing.
- 2013 Detroit Tigers Information Guide (PDF). 2013. pp. 189–191.
- Cory Morse. "Whitecaps closer Bruce Rondon lands on MWL all-star team, still looks to improve". MLive.com. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Mayo, Jonathan (June 19, 2012). "Prospects pack rosters for 2012 All-Star Futures Game | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- "World Futures vs. U.S. Futures - July 8, 2012 | MLB.com: Gameday". MLB.com. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Bruce Rondon". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Already in 1st, Pirates waiting for top prospects Associated Press, July 8, 2013. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- "Dave Dombrowski: Bruce Rondon a 'rare talent' who could close for Detroit Tigers next season". MLive.com. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Schmehl, James (March 18, 2013). "Bruce Rondon slowly building case for Detroit Tigers' closer role after another strong outing". MLive.com. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- "Tigers option Bruce Rondon; no set closer to open '13 | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. March 28, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "Detroit Tigers recall Bruce Rondon, place Octavio Dotel on DL - ESPN". Espn.go.com. April 23, 2013. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Sipple, George (April 23, 2013). "Detroit Tigers | Detroit Free Press". freep.com. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- The Tigers have called up Bruce Rondon Calcaterra, Craig at hardballtalk.nbcsports.com on June 28, 2013
- Cabrera exits early, Tigers top Indians on rainy night cbssports.com wire reports on August 30, 2013.
- Axisa, Mike (March 21, 2013). "Tigers lose setup man Bruce Rondon to Tommy John surgery". cbssports.com. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- The Book on Bruce Rondon scoutingbook.com, retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Pentis, Andrew (March 13, 2013). "Prospect Q&A: Inside Rondon's head | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/v' not found.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Venezuelan Professional Baseball League statistics