C. S. Seshadri
|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
Conjeevaram Srirangachari Seshadri|
29 February 1932
|Institutions||Chennai Mathematical Institute|
|Doctoral advisor||Template:If empty|
|Notable awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, Padma Bhushan, Fellow of the Royal Society|
C.S. Seshadri FRS (born 29 February 1932) is an eminent Indian mathematician. He is currently Director-Emeritus of the Chennai Mathematical Institute, and is known for his work in algebraic geometry. The Seshadri constant is named after him. He is also a recipient of the prestigious Padma Bhushan in 2009, the third highest civilian honor in the country.
Degrees and posts held
He received his B.A. (Hons.) degree in Mathematics from Madras University in 1953 and his Ph.D. from Bombay University in 1958. His advisor was K. Chandrasekharan. He was elected Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences in 1971.
Seshadri worked in the School of Mathematics at TIFR in Bombay from 1953 to 1984 starting as a Research Scholar and rising to a senior professor. From 1984 to 1989, he worked in IMSc in Chennai. From 1989 to 2010, he worked as the founding director of the Chennai Mathematical Institute. He stepped down from his Directorship of the Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI) on Friday, the 31 December 2010. However, he continues to be a part of CMI as "Director-Emeritus" from 1 January 2011 onwards.
- University of Paris, France
- Harvard University, Cambridge
- Brandeis University
- University of Bonn, Bonn
- Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
He has also given invited talks at the ICM.
Awards and felicitations
- Honoris Causa, University Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, France
- Honoris Causa, University of Hyderabad, India
- Padma Bhushan
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award
- Srinivasa Ramanujan Medal from the Indian Academy of Sciences
- Honorary D.Sc. from Banaras Hindu University
- TWAS Science Award
- Fellow of IAS, INSA and a Fellow of the Royal Society.
- Membership of the United States National Academy of Sciences
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012.
Seshadri's main work is in algebraic geometry. His work with M S Narasimhan on unitary vector bundles and the Narasimhan–Seshadri theorem has influenced the field a lot. His work on Geometric Invariant Theory and on Schubert varieties, in particular his introduction of standard monomial theory, is widely recognized. Apart from the great amount of research done by him, Seshadri's contributions include the inception of Chennai Mathematical Institute, which is one of the leading institutes for study in mathematics in India.
- Narasimhan, M. S.; Seshadri, C. S. (1965). "Stable and unitary vector bundles on a compact Riemann surface". Annals of Mathematics (The Annals of Mathematics, Vol. 82, No. 3) 82 (3): 540–567. JSTOR 1970710. MR 0184252. doi:10.2307/1970710.
- Seshadri, C. S. (2007), Introduction to the theory of standard monomials, Texts and Readings in Mathematics 46, New Delhi: Hindustan Book Agency, ISBN 9788185931784, MR 2347272
- Seshadri, C. S. (2012), Collected papers of C. S. Seshadri. Volume 1. Vector bundles and invariant theory, New Delhi: Hindustan Book Agency, ISBN 9789380250175, MR 2905897
- Seshadri, C. S. (2012), Collected papers of C. S. Seshadri. Volume 2. Schubert geometry and representation theory., New Delhi: Hindustan Book Agency, ISBN 9789380250175, MR 2905898
- Information of the Indian Academy of Sciences "Fellow Profile of Prof. C.S. Seshadri".
- "C.S. Seshadri's official profile an Chennai Mathematical Institute".
- Padma Bushan, 2009
- "Prof. C S Seshadri to be conferred prestigious Rathindra Puraskar from Visva Bharrati". BUSINESSWIRE INDIA. November 24, 2008.
- O'Leary, Maureen. "72 New Members Chosen By Academy". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-07-18.
- C. S. Seshadri at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "TWAS, Illycafe Announce Trieste Science Prize Winners".
- Seshadri, C. S; Lakshmibai, Venkatramani (2003). A tribute to C.S. Seshadri: a collection of articles on geometry and representation theory. Birkhäuser. ISBN 978-3-7643-0444-7.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).