Alpha-tocopherol transfer protein, closed state with ligand.
CRALB protein carries 11-cis-retinol or 11-cis-retinaldehyde. It modulates interaction of retinoids with visual cycle enzymes. TRIO is involved in coordinating actin remodeling, which is necessary for cell migration and growth.
Other members of the family are alpha-tocopherol transfer protein and phosphatidylinositol-transfer protein (Sec14). They transport their substrates (alpha-tocopherol and phosphatidylinositol or phosphatidylcholine, respectively) between different intracellular membranes. Family also include a guanine nucleotide exchange factor that may function as an effector of RAC1 small G-protein.
The N-terminal domain of yeast ECM25 protein has been identified as containing a lipid binding CRAL-TRIO domain.
The Sec14 protein was the first CRAL-TRIO domain for which the structure was determined. The structure contains several alpha helices as well as a beta sheet composed of 6 strands. Strands 2,3,4 and 5 form a parallel beta sheet with strands 1 and 6 being anti-parallel. The structure also identified a hydrophobic binding pocket for lipid binding.
Human proteins containing this domain
- Min KC, Kovall RA, Hendrickson WA (December 2003). "Crystal structure of human alpha-tocopherol transfer protein bound to its ligand: implications for ataxia with vitamin E deficiency". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 100 (25): 14713–8. PMC 299775. PMID 14657365. doi:10.1073/pnas.2136684100.
- Panagabko C, Morley S, Hernandez M et al. (June 2003). "Ligand specificity in the CRAL-TRIO protein family". Biochemistry 42 (21): 6467–74. PMID 12767229. doi:10.1021/bi034086v.
- Gallego O, Betts MJ, Gvozdenovic-Jeremic J et al. (November 2010). "A systematic screen for protein-lipid interactions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Mol. Syst. Biol. 6 (1): 430. PMC 3010107. PMID 21119626. doi:10.1038/msb.2010.87.
- Sha B, Phillips SE, Bankaitis VA, Luo M (January 1998). "Crystal structure of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae phosphatidylinositol-transfer protein". Nature 391 (6666): 506–10. PMID 9461221. doi:10.1038/35179.
- UMich Orientation of Proteins in Membranes families/superfamily-129 - Calculated spatial positions of CRAL-TRIO domains in membrane
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.