|Song by Brian Wilson from the album Classics Selected by Brian Wilson|
|Released||July 2, 2002|
|Classics Selected by Brian Wilson track listing|
This page is a soft redirect.}
"California Feelin'" is a song written by Brian Wilson and Stephen Kalinich written in the early 1970s for the American rock band the Beach Boys. The group's recording was left unreleased while Wilson recorded a solo version in 2002 for the Beach Boys compilation Classics Selected by Brian Wilson.
Two composite versions of the Beach Boys' original recordings – one complete and the other a piano/vocal demo – were included on the 2013 compilation Made in California.
The Beach Boys' recordings
The song was written by Brian Wilson and Stephen Kalinich for Wilson's American Spring sideproject. Kalinich considered the song white gospel and added "I think it frightened him a little to let his defenses down and give the vocal all he had." It was first tracked as a demo in November 1974 by Brian Wilson in a session that was engineered by Chuck Britz. Wilson, unhappy with his performance, instructed the engineer to scrap the tape, but this was not heeded. By the Beach Boys' next album, 1976's 15 Big Ones, Wilson's voice was drastically different due to drug and tobacco use.
It was recorded again in 1978 by the Beach Boys. The song lent its name to California Feeling, an early version of what would become M.I.U. Album later in the year. Despite the album title, Brian insisted that the song be left off from its track listing. The Beach Boys' 1974 and 1978 versions of "California Feelin'" were eventually released for the 2013 compilation Made in California. Compiler Alan Boyd explained:
That was one of the first songs recorded for the L.A. (Light Album) in 1978 at Criteria, the Bee Gees studio, in Miami. A rough mix has been circulating for many years but we did a little track editing and pulled some things out on it. I’ve always loved the song and there are multiple versions of it out there. There’s a version by The Honeys, Brian (Wilson) has recorded it. But we’re finally getting the Beach Boys master out. It features a beautiful vocal by Carl. The song almost has a gospel tinge to it. We even used part of Brian’s original first attempt at a lead vocal on it too, which no one has heard.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2014)|
- Brian Wilson (1974 demo)
- Brian Wilson - piano, lead vocals
- The Beach Boys (Made in California version)
- Brian Wilson – lead vocals (first part of first verse)
- Carl Wilson – lead vocals (verses)
- Bruce Johnston - lead vocals (chorus)
- Mike Love - backing vocals
- Al Jardine - backing vocals
- Wilson, Brian (2002). Classics Selected by Brian Wilson (CD Liner). The Beach Boys. Capitol Records.
- Dillon, Mark (2012). Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys: The Songs That Tell Their Story. ECW Press. p. 322. ISBN 978-1-77090-198-8.
- Chidester, Brian (January 30, 2014). "Brian Wilson's Secret Bedroom Tapes". LA Weekly. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- Carlin, Peter Ames (2006). Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson. Rodale. p. 331. ISBN 978-1-59486-749-1.
- "Beach Boys Producers Alan Boyd, Dennis Wolfe, Mark Linett Discuss ‘Made in California’ (Q&A)". Rock Cellar Magazine. September 4, 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- Doe, Andrew Grayham. "Unreleased Albums". Endless Summer Quarterly. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- The Beach Boys - California Feelin' on YouTube