California State Controller
|State Controller of California|
Seal of the California State Controller
|Term length||Four years, two term limit|
John S. Houston|
|Website||California State Controller's Office|
The State Controller is the Chief Financial Officer of the State of California in the United States. The post has broader responsibilities and authority than the California State Treasurer. Responsibilities include investigative authority for every dollar spent by the state, and being an ex-officio member of the state's Board of Equalization.
The State Controller is elected to a four-year term but is limited to two terms. The current state controller is Betty Yee.
- As the state’s chief fiscal officer, acts as the state’s accountant and bookkeeper of all public funds.
- Administers the state payroll system and unclaimed property laws.
- Serves on 76 boards and commissions, including the Board of Equalization, Franchise Tax Board, CalPERS, and CalSTRS.
- Conducts audits and reviews of state operations. The office performs a multitude of financial audits, compliance audits and attestations. The areas of government audited and reviewed by the State Controller include California School Districts, the California State Lottery, Oil and Gas Lease Royalties, State Agencies, RDAs, and a multitude of local governments. It is considered one of the premiere audit agencies of the State of California.
The Office has a staff of Deputy State Controllers that help the State Controller fulfill his elected duties, including sitting on the Board of Equalization and other boards for the State Controller in absentia. Noted former Deputy State Controllers include Barrett McInerney, James Burton, Laurette Healey, and Rex Halverson.
List of California State Controllers
|John S. Houston||Democratic||1849–1852|
|Winslow S. Pierce||Democratic||1852–1854|
|George W. Whitman||American Party||1856–1857|
|Edward F. Burton||American Party||1857|
|George W. Whitman||American Party||1857–1858|
|Aaron R. Melony||Lecompton Democrat||1858–1860|
|Samuel H. Brooks||Lecompton Democrat||1860–1861|
|James S. Gillan||Democratic||1861–1862|
|Gilbert R. Warren||Republican||1862–1863|
|George R. Oulton||Constitutional Union||1863–1867|
|James J. Green||Republican||1871–1875|
|James W. Mandeville||Democratic||1875–1876|
|William B. C. Brown||Democratic||1876–1877|
|Daniel M. Kenfield||Republican||1877–1883|
|John P. Dunn||Democratic||1883–1891|
|Edward P. Colgan||Republican||1891–1906|
|A. B. Nye||Republican||1906–1913|
|John S. Chambers||Republican||1913–1920|
|Ray L. Riley||Republican||1921–1937|
|Harry B. Riley||Republican||1937–1946|
|Robert C. Kirkwood||Republican||1953–1959|
|Houston I. Flournoy||Republican||1967–1975|
- "California State Controller's Office". Retrieved November 2, 2005.
- 2006 Candidates for State Controller
- Will H. Kindig, candidate for State Controller, 1934
- California State Controller's Office. Boards and commissions. Retrieved November 4, 2008.