The Emperor of All Maladies
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer |
by Siddhartha Mukherjee
|Written by||David Blistein; Ken Burns; Barak Goodman; Geoffrey Ward|
|Directed by||Barak Goodman|
|Starring||Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee|
|Narrated by||Edward Herrmann|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||Three-episodes of two-hours each|
|Producer(s)||Ken Burns; Dalton Delan; David Thompson; Pamela Williams|
|Running time||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Production company(s)||Florentine Films; Laura Ziskin Pictures; WETA Washington, D.C.; Ark Media.|
|Distributor||Public Broadcasting Service|
Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies is a 2015 American documentary film directed by Barak Goodman and produced by Ken Burns. The film, in three-episodes of two hours each, is based on the Pulitzer Prize winning 2010 book, The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer, by Siddhartha Mukherjee, and describes the history of cancer, and cancer treatments, particularly in the United States.
|No.||Episode|| Original air date
Script error: No such module "Episode list". Script error: No such module "Episode list". Script error: No such module "Episode list".
- Edward Herrmann - Narrator
- Dr. Arnold Levine
- Dr. Bernard Fisher
- Dr. Carl June
- Dr. Donald Pinkel
- Dr. Eric Lander
- Dr. James Holland
- Dr. Jimmie Holland
- Dr. Jose Baselga
- Dr. Lori Wilson
- Dr. Pat Brown
- Dr. Robert Weinberg
- Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee
- Dr. Sidney Farber
- Dr. Susan Love
- Dr. Suzanne Cole
- Dr. Todd Golub
- Dr. Vincent DeVita
- Edward R. Murrow
- Mary Lasker
- Nci-vol-8226-300 bernard fisher.jpg
- Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee 2011.jpg
- Sidney Farber nci-vol-1926-300.jpg
- Dr. Susan Love.jpg
- Mary Lasker.jpg
Reviews and criticism
According to a review in the New York Times, the film seems "too much like a promotional video for cancer researchers and hospitals", "touches only briefly on the significant issue of costs" but "achieves its main goal, which is to show the human impact of cancer." According to a review in the Los Angeles Times, the film is "the single most personally relevant documentary of this or any year".
- Genzlinger, Neil (March 27, 2015). "Review: In ‘Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies,’ Battling an Opportunistic Killer". New York Times. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- McNamara, Mary (March 30, 2015). "Review: PBS' 'Cancer' documentary cuts to the heart of the matter". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Szabo, Liz (March 29, 2015). "Ken Burns tackles history of cancer". USA Today. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Herper, Matthew (March 31, 2015). "What I Hope Everyone Learns From PBS' Big Cancer Documentary". Forbes. Retrieved April 2015.
- Staff (2015). "Cancer - Episode Guide". PBS. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- Cancer at the PBS WebSite.
- Cancer at the Ken Burns WebSite.
- Cancer at the CancerFilms WebSite.
- Cancer at the The Story of Cancer WebSite
- Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies at the Internet Movie Database.
- Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies - Episodes: PBS
- Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies - Trailer (06:12) on YouTube.