many, see text|
||Look up Carl in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Carl is a popular variant of the name Charles. The name originates from the old German languages and is still one of the most popular names in Germany and Sweden. The name has status as a Royal name in Sweden and the first name of the current Sweden's King.
List of people named Carl
- (most other Swedish and Norwegian royalty so named - see Carl of Sweden! - are listed on English Wikipedia as Charles)
Carl as a family name
- Christian Thomsen Carl (1676-1713), Danish navy officer. Middle name also given as Thomasen, Thomesen, Thomasen, or Thomesen.
Carl as a given name
- Carl Ballantine (1917-2009), American actor
- Carl Barbour, Famous Ohioan
- Carl Barks
- Carl Barat
- Carl Bildt
- Carl L. Boeckmann
- Carl Brashear, U.S. Navy Master Diver
- Carl Crawford
- Carl Brando
- Carl Edwards
- Carl Fodor
- Carl Fogarty
- Carl Froch
- Carl Garrigus, American football player
- Carl Friedrich Gauss
- Carl Grubert
- Carl Gunnarsson, Swedish hockey player
- Carl August Hagberg, Swedish linguist
- Carl Jenkinson, Football (soccer) player
- Carl Jung
- Carl Karcher
- Carl Kasell, American radio personality
- Carl Kennedy
- Carl Lewis
- Carl Linnaeus (Carl von Linné)
- Carl Marino, actor and former deputy sheriff
- Carl Menger, Austrian economist
- Carl Oliver (born 1969), Bahamian sprinter and Olympic medallist
- Carl Orff
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
- Carl Pursell, American politician
- Carl Reiner, American actor, director, and comedian
- Carl Rogers, American psychologist and psychotherapist
- Carl Sagan
- Carl Sandburg
- Carl Schueler, American race walker
- Carl Söderberg, Forward for the Boston Bruins
- Carl Heinrich Stratz, German-Russian gynecologist
- Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, American actor and singer, best known as "Alfalfa" from the Our Gang (Little Rascals) comedy shorts
- Carl Maria von Weber
- Carl Weathers
- Carl Wieland
- Carl Wilson
- Carl Yastrzemski
- Carl Zeiss
- Carl Czerny, Pianist
- Carl Kolchak, a character from Kolchak: The Night Stalker
- Carl Brutananadilewski, a character from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- Carl Carlson, a character from The Simpsons
- Carl Fredricksen, a character from Disney-Pixar's Up (2009 film)
- Carl "CJ" Johnson, a character in the Grand Theft Auto video game series
- Carl Normal, a perfectly regular guy in the real-life series My Story
- Carl Grimes, a notoriously elusive character from the comic/TV series The Walking Dead
- Carl Denham, a character from the 1933 film King Kong and its 2005 remake
- Carl Hamilton, a Swedish secret agent of novels by Jan Guillou.
- Carl Wheezer, a character from Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
- Carl Winslow, a character from the TV series Family Matters
- Carl Caston, an alter ego of the character Collin from the TV series "Welcome to Studio 54."
- Carl Bentley, a character from the 1995 film Jumanji
- Carl Clover, a playable character in the Blazblue fighting game series.
The are several derivations of the surname Carl, most of them originating as "son of Carl":
Many of these are in reference to Charlemagne.
Carolina is named for Charles II of England.