Catalan Way 2014
|Catalan Way 2014|
Rally held in Barcelona forming a "V"|
Rally held in Barcelona forming a "V"
|Date||11 September 2014|
|Goals||Independence of Catalonia|
|Methods||Political rally, street protest|
The Catalan Way 2014 (Catalan: Via Catalana 2014), or "V", was a large gathering in Barcelona on 11 September 2014, the National Day of Catalonia, in support of the Catalan self-determination referendum of 2014 and of Catalan independence from Spain. It was organized by "Now is the Time", a unified campaign organised and funded by the Assemblea Nacional Catalana (ANC) and the Òmnium Cultural. Two massive senyeres (Catalan flags), created by demonstrators wearing red and yellow t-shirts forming a giant human mosaic, filled the Diagonal and the Gran Via, and came together at the vortex in Plaça de les Glòries, forming a giant "V", symbolizing "victory", "vote" and "will" (Catalan: victòria, votar, voluntat). The "V" was 11 kilometers in length and about 200,000 square meters in area. Estimates of the attendance varied: though the Spanish government's office in Catalonia put it at about 500,000, Barcelona's Municipal Police put it at 1.8 million. An independent statistical analysis by the Autonomous University of Barcelona calculated that 900,000 people attended. The organisers, the grassroots Assemblea Nacional Catalana, said it was one of the biggest peaceful mobilizations in European history.
- "Ara és l'hora" ("Now is the time")". Assemblea Nacional Catalana (ANC). 8 August 2014.
- "The Eleventh of September: V is for Victory". VilaWeb. 11 September 2014.
- "Las cifras de la Via Catalana 2014: 1,8 millones". La Vanguardia. 11 September 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Unas 900.000 personas en la V de la Diada". La Vanguardia. 12 September 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "The Catalan Way 2014 becomes the biggest mobilization in European history". Assemblea Nacional Catalana (ANC). 11 September 2014.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/aliases' not found.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Catalan Way 2014.|
- Ara és l'hora (Now is the time) official web site images Invalid language code.
- V, Catalan Way 2014 Invalid language code.
- Video with the best images of the Catalan Way 2014