|File:Serpentine vtm cat d2 gnangarra.jpg|
The Caterpillar D2 was manufactured by Caterpillar Inc. in the factory that was located in Peoria, Illinois, USA. It stopped being manufactured in the year of 1957. The base frame of this model of tractor is a crawler. The weight of the Caterpillar D2 ranges from about 7420 to 8536 pounds depending upon the year it was manufactured. There are 5 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. Caterpillar manufactured a total of 26,454 D2 model tractors. Caterpillar began manufacturing new tractors, including the D2 model, in response to the "New Deal" programs that were initiated by President Franklin Roosevelt to stimulate America's economy.
- Haycraft, William R. Yellow Steel: The Story of the Earthmoving Equipment Industry. University of Illinois Press, 2002 p. 65.
- Orleman, Eric C. Caterpillar. MBI Publishing Company, 2006. p. 37.
- "Caterpillar D2 1938 - 1957". Tractor Data. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Caterpillar® History - Page 10". Antique Caterpillar Machinery Club. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.