Its ancient Roman name was Caburrum or Forum Vibii. Cavour lies on the north side of a huge isolated mass of granite (the Rocca di Cavour) which rises from the plain. On the summit was the Roman village, which belonged to the province of the Alpes Cottiae. There are some ruins of medieval fortifications. The town gave its name to the Benso family of Chieri, who were raised to the marquisate in 1771, and of which the statesman Cavour was a member.
- 12px One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Cavour". Encyclopædia Britannica 5 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.