Central American and Caribbean Games
|First event||October 30 - November 2, 1926|
|Occur every||4 years|
|Last event||November 14 - November 30, 2014|
|Purpose||Sports for Central American and Caribbean people|
|Website||2014 Official Website|
The Central American and Caribbean Games (CAC or CACGs) are a multi-sport regional championships event, held quadrennial (every 4 years), typically in the middle (even) year between Summer Olympics. The Games are for countries in Central America, the Caribbean, as well as for Mexico, Bermuda, and the South American countries of Suriname, Guyana, Colombia and Venezuela.
The Games are overseen by the Central American and Caribbean Sports Organization (CACSO) (the organization also goes by the acronym "ODECABE", from its full Spanish name: Organización Deportiva Centroamericana y del Caribe). They are designed to provide a step between sub-CACG-region Games held the first year following a Summer Olympics (e.g. Central American Games) and the Continental Championships, the Pan American Games, held the year before the Summer Olympics.
The CACGs are the oldest continuing regional games in the world, and only the Olympics have run longer. Mexico, Cuba and Guatemala were the three countries present at the first games, which were then called the Central American Games. In 1935 their name was changed to Central American and Caribbean Games to reflect expanding participation. Thirty one nations took part in the 1993 games in Puerto Rico and the 1998 games in Venezuela. The 2006 Central American and Caribbean Games ended on July 30, 2006.
A "Central American Games" does exist today, Juegos Centroamericanos, involving just Central American countries.
Historical Medal Count
- Invalid language code. es:Juegos Centroamericanos y del Caribe--Central American and Caribbean Games entry on Spanish Wikipedia
- Athletics at the Central American and Caribbean Games
- Pan American Games
- Invalid language code. ODECABE website www.odecabe.org; retrieved 2010-03-03
- Invalid language code. Website of the XXI Central American and Caribbean Games (http://mayaquez2010.com); retrieved 2010-03-03.
- History of CACSO from the CASCO website (www.casco.org); retrieved 2009-06-26.
- Medals – Total of Medals (1926-2010) from the ODECABE website (http://www.odecabe.org); retrieved 2014-11-26.
- Veracruz 2014 – Medal Count from the Veracruz 2014 website (http://veracruz2014.mx/?lang=en); retrieved 2014-11-30.
- 2014 Official Website
- 2010 Official Website
- Official Results
- 2006 Official Website
- Central America and Caribbean Games 2014 on Women's Soccer United