Central Bank of Kenya
The Central Bank of Kenya (Swahili: Benki Kuu ya Kenya) is Kenya's central bank. The bank is located in Nairobi. The bank's name is abbreviated to "CBK". Central Bank of Kenya was founded in 1966 after the dissolution of East African Currency Board (EACB).
Role of the Bank
The Bank is active in promoting financial inclusion policy and is a leading member of the Alliance for Financial Inclusion. It is also one of the original 17 regulatory institutions to make specific national commitments to financial inclusion under the Maya Declaration during the 2011 Global Policy Forum in Mexico.
- Dr. Leon Baranski (May 1966 - May 1967)
- Mr. Duncan Ndegwa (May 1967 - December 1982)
- Mr. Philip Ndegwa (December 1982 - January 1988)
- Mr. Eric Kotut (January 1988 - July 1993)
- Mr. Micah Cheserem (July 1993 - April 2001)
- Mr. Nahashon Nyagah (April 2001 - March 2003)
- Dr. Andrew Mullei (March 2003 - March 2007)
The current Deputy Governor is Dr. Haron Sirima. Former Deputy Governors include:
- Ahmed Abdallah 1983-1984 
- Eric Cheruiyot Kutut 1984 
- Wanjohi Muriithi - Appointed 1992 
- Thomas Nzioki Kibua - Appointed 1997
- Edward C Sambili 2001
- Jacinta Wanjala Mwatela - Appointed 2005 
Board of Directors
The composition of the current board of directors is as follows:
- Dr. Mbui Wagacha - Ag. Chairman of the Board
- Prof. Njuguna Ndung'u - Governor
- Dr. Haron Sirima - Deputy Governor
- Mr. Joseph Kinyua - PS Treasury, Member
- Ms Vivienne A. Y. Apopo,
- Dr. William Otiende Ogara,
- Mr. John G. Msafari,
- Ms Florence K. Muindi,
- Central banks and currencies of Africa
- Economy of Kenya
- List of central banks
- Kenyan shilling
- David Munyakei
- Kenya Gazette. 7 January 1983. p. 2. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 16 October 1984. p. 1482. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 26 October 1986. p. 1398. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 10 January 1992. p. 22. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 4 July 1997. p. 1184. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 17 August 2001. p. 1832. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 27 May 2005. p. 1162. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Official website
- "Kenya: No Governor Please, We Are Kenyans" news story from AllAfrica, on the central bank's governorship job vacancy, dated December 2006
Lua error in Module:Navbar at line 23: Invalid title Template:If empty.