|Born||9 October 1904|
|Died||April 24, 1999(aged 94)|
Charles Rostaing was one of the most famous specialists in French place names in general and Provence in particular of the 20th century. He was also the grandfather of the biographer Alain Wodrascka.
After his higher studies from 1923 to 1926 in Aix-en-Provence where he was a pupil of Georges Lote and Emile Ripert, he obtained his Agrégation in grammar in 1928. He was a high school teacher in Alès, Toulon, and Nice then in Paris from 1934 to 1946. Just before the defence of his thesis he entered higher education in October 1946 as a lecturer in the language and literature of Provence in the Faculty of Arts of Aix-en-Provence.
In the following year after defending his thesis, he became a senior lecturer and then Professor of classic French language and literature in 1948 before succeeding Auguste Brun, in 1952, to the Chair of Romance languages - a post he held until his departure for the Sorbonne in 1967. He was director of the Centre for Education and Research for Occitan from 1967 to 1974.
Majoral of Félibrige in 1952, he became the ninth capoulié (president) from 1956 to 1962.
Sources: University System documentation Invalid language code. • National Library of France Invalid language code. • Virtual International Authority File • Library of Congress • Gemeinsame Normdatei Invalid language code. • WorldCat
Written by Charles Rostaing only
- Place names, Presses Universitaires de France Collection What do I know?, 1st edition 1945, 7th edition 1969, reprinted in 1992
- Essay on the toponymy of Provence, ed. by Artrey, Paris, 1950
- Essay on the toponymy of Provence (from the beginning to the barbarian invasions), Laffite Reprints, Marseille, 1973 (1st edition 1950)
- Essay on the toponymy of Provence, Ed. Jeanne Laffitte, Marseille, 1994
Written in collaboration
Albert Dauzat and Charles Rostaing, Etymological dictionary of place names in France, Ed. Larousse, 1968
- Charles Rostaing and Rene Jouveau, Summary of Provencal literature, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, 1972
- Albert Dauzat and Charles Rostaing, Etymological dictionary of place names in France, 2nd edition Librairie Guénégaud, Paris 1978
- Albert Dauzat, Gaston Deslandes, and Charles Rostaing, Etymological dictionary of names of rivers and mountains in France, Klincksieck, 1978
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).