journalist, novelist, writing instructor
August 2, 1946|
New York City
|Alma mater||Syracuse University (1967)|
Charles Salzberg is an American novelist, journalist, editor, and teacher.
Early Life and Education
Salzberg was born in New York City in 1946. He graduated from Barnard School for Boys (now part of Horace Mann School) in 1963. He then attended Syracuse University, earning a bachelors degree in English in 1967. He attended the Boston University School of Law from 1967-1968.
Salzberg got a job in the mail room at New York (magazine) in 1976. Between mail deliveries, he began to pitch article ideas to editor, Elizabeth Crowe. He then became a freelance writer, writing feature articles for periodicals such as Esquire Magazine, GQ, Elle Magazine, Redbook, Good Housekeeping and New York (magazine).
Salzberg is the author of detective and crime fiction, as well as numerous works of nonfiction. His novels include the Henry Swann Detective Series: Swann's Last Song (2008), and Swann Dives In (2012). Swann's Last Song was a New York Post recommendation and was nominated for a Shamus Award. Salzberg's newest novel, Devil in the Hole (2013), is based on the notorious case of John List, who murdered his family and escaped conviction for 18 years.
New York Writers Workshop and Teaching
Salzberg is a well-known writing teacher and mentor and is a founding member of the New York Writers Workshop. His students have included Lauren Weisberger (author of The Devil Wears Prada), Joy Behar (co-host of The View), Susie Essman (co-star of Curb Your Enthusiasm), Sally Koslow (author of Little Pink Slips), Linda Yellin (author of The Last Blind Date and Such a Lovely Couple), and Stephanie Klein (author of Straight Up and Dirty).
Salzberg has taught writing at Sarah Lawrence College, the Open Center, and the Writer's Voice, and has served as Visiting Professor of Magazine Journalism at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. In 1996, he was called one of "New York's Great Teachers" by New York Magazine.
- Devil in the Hole (2013)
- Swann Dives In (2012)
- Long Island Noir" (contributor, edited by Kaylie Jones) (2012)
- Swann's Last Song (2008)
- The Mad Fisherman: Kick Some Bass with America's Wildest TV Host (with Charlie Moore) (2009)
- Soupy Sez: My Zany Life and Times (with Soupy Sales) (2003)
- Catch Them Being Good: Everything You Need to Know to Successfully Coach Girls (with Tony DiCicco) (2003)
- On a Clear Day They Could See Seventh Place: Baseball's Worst Teams (with George Robinson) (1991)
- Missy Hyatt: The First Lady of Wrestling (with Missy Hyatt) (2001)
- From Set Shot to Slam Dunk: The Glory Days of Basketball in the Words of Those Who Played It (1988)
- Murphy, Sean. "The Literary Life and How To Live It". Algonkian Writers Conference.
- Heller, Billy. "Required Reading". New York Post.
- Fitzgerald, Ted. "The Private Eye Writers of America Announces 2009 Shamus Award Nominees". Private Eye Writers of America.
- Stout, David. "John E. List, 82, Killer of 5 Family Members, Dies". New York Times.
- Alger, Derek. "From the Editor". Pif Magazine.
- Philadelphia Alumni Writers House. "Writers on Writing: Charles Salzberg". Franklin & Marshall College.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).