Chilworth Manor House (2007)
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament|| [[South East England (European Parliament constituency)#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.South East England]]
|primary |name= }} Chilworth is a village in the Guildford borough of Surrey, England, southeast of Guildford. Chilworth has three churches, two pre-secondary education schools, an independent pub-restaurant and a railway station. The village occupies both sides of the Tillingbourne between outcrops of the Greensand Ridge including St Martha's Hill. Footpaths lead through fields and woodlands along the ranges of hills. Chilworth is split between two civil parishes, Shalford CP to the west and St Martha's CP to the east. It also has a recreation ground with a park that has a sports pavilion used for football and cricket.
The village occupies both sides of the Tillingbourne between northerly sections of the Greensand Ridge such as Tangley Hill and a steep knoll St Martha's Hill with has St Martha's Church and the North Downs Way. The North Downs are immediately north, east and west of that knoll. Footpaths lead through fields and woodlands along the ranges of hills. Chilworth is split between two civil parishes, Shalford CP to the west and St Martha's CP to the east, and is in the south-east of Guildford borough.
Chilworth has three churches, two schools (Chilworth Infant School and Tillingbourne Junior School), a gastro-pub (The Percy Arms) and a railway station
Benedictine monks had a monastery towards the outskirts of Chilworth in Saint Augustine's Abbey, which was for a few years a Franciscan order friary, designed by Frederick Walters, founded in 1892.
The settlement has an interesting industrial past. At various times in history it has been the location of a wire mill, paper mill and gunpowder factory. The wireworks was built in 1603 by Thomas Steere and others, who seduced workmen from the Tintern wireworks of the Company of Mineral and Battery Works. This infringed the company's patent and enabled it to have the wireworks suppressed in 1606. The gunpowder works are listed by English Heritage as a scheduled monument.
Chilworth Gunpowder works was established in 1625 by the East India Company and finally closed in 1920. It was worked by a number of private companies and became an important supplier of gunpowder to the Government. A significant number of buildings from the gunpowder factory can still be found. The buildings and area are now partially looked after by Guildford Borough Council and English Heritage.
Chilworth Manor is midway between the 'village' (clustered centre) and St Martha's Hill to the north. Its history goes back to a record in the Domesday Book as a monastery. The monastery was destroyed by Henry VIII and by 1580 was owned by William Morgan. William's son, John was knighted at Cadiz in 1596. In 1725 Sarah, the widow of the Duke of Marlborough, became owner. She added the Marlborough Wing and developed a tiered garden excavated in the sloping hillside and still known as the "Duchess's Garden".
Chilworth Manor is grade II listed by English Heritage and has recently been extensively restored and refurbished by new owners, following the death of its previous occupant, Lady Heald.
Chilworth is covered by ADSL and Mobile Broadband based High Speed Internet services. A Vodafone phone mast sits near the center of the village, at the playing fields, just to the south of one of the Railway Crossings. Other mobile services in the village are patchy, there also being a Vodaphone mast in nearby Shalford, but no other signal not of land shadow.
ADSL based services only offer a maximum of ~4Mbit/s to the village.
BT have extended their Fibre to the Cabinet expansion plans to cover Guildford. Chilworth now benefits from these improvements and extensive BT work took place in April and May 2011 resulting in installation of new FTTC cabinets in at least 3 locations in the village. These works, now complete, allow for 12Mbit/s+ services and service to those at the Eastern end of the village and up to 70Mbit/s to those towards the West end of Dorking Road and New Road.
The village is in the Surrey Hills AONB and most of its land is outside the settlement boundary within the Metropolitan Green Belt. These are the main safeguards against building on most of the two civil parishes' green fields and woodlands. The nearest airport is small, Farnborough Airport, approximately Script error: No such module "convert". WNW. Unlike most Surrey districts the borough has no Air Quality Management Areas. The gunpowder works closed in the 19th century leaving few heavy industries in the civil parish and neighbouring areas. No shooting or ordnance ranges are within five miles. Flooding from the Tillingbourne (alluvial flooding) is a rare occurrence with small parts of the north and west have identified by the Borough Council as at risk.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chilworth, Surrey.|
- St Augustine's Abbey, Chilworth
- Chilworth Infant School
- Chilworth Community Playgroup
- St Martha Parish Council
|Guildford||Merrow|| East Clandon|
|Bramley||Wonersh|| across Blackheath Common:|
Farley Green, Albury
- Ordnance Survey Explorer map 145 edition B1 revised 2004.
- Ordnance Survey Explorer map 145 edition B1 revised 2004.
- English heritage review of diocesan churches
- Surrey Domesday Book
- Chilworth Gunpowder Mills - A short history
- K R Fairclough and Glenys Crocker - Chilworth gunpowder mills in the period of the Dutch Wars
- M. B. Donald, Elizabethan Monopolies: the history of the Company of Mineral and Battery Works from 1565 to 1604 (Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh 1961), 136-7.
- National Heritage list entry for Chilworth gunpowder works (downloaded September 2012)
- National Heritage list entry for Chilworth Manor (downloaded September 2012)
- Tillingbourne ward Guildford Borough Council. Retrieved 2015-03-20
- Defra - Air Retrieved 2015-03-19.
- Major Village Expansions options in the Borough - Current Local Plan Guildford Borough Council. Accessed 2015-03-20.