Chris O'Neil (tennis)
19 March 1956|
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
|Highest ranking||No. 80|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Australian Open||W (1978)|
|French Open||2R (1976–1979, 1981)|
|US Open||2R (1974, 1978, 1979)|
|Last updated on: 7 August 2007.|
O'Neil is best-remembered for her victory at the 1978 Australian Open, the last Australian female to do so. She also became the first unseeded woman to win the Australian title in the open era. This feat went unmatched until Serena Williams, unseeded and ranked World No. 81, won the 2007 Australian Open. O'Neil is also one of a handful of players who have won both the Australian Open Junior (1973) and Senior (1978) Championship title.
As of 2007, Christine, along with her brothers Keith and William, have taken over the Morisset Sports & Tennis Centre located in Newcastle, NSW in Australia. The centre was subsequently renamed the O'Neil School of Tennis.
Grand Slam singles final
|1978||Australian Open||25px Betsy Nagelsen||6–3, 7–6|
- "Profiles: Chris O'Neil". Tennis Australia. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Australian Open Tennis". State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "Williams wallops Sharapova for eighth Grand Slam". Associated Press. 27 January 2007. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "O'Neil's School of Tennis". O'Neil's School of Tennis. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "Chris O'Neil". Australian Tennis Professional Coaches Association. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.