Christopher M. Nutting BSc MBBS MD PhD FRCP FRCR ECMO MedFIPEM (born April 5, 1968) is a Professor of Clinical Oncology and medical consultant, specializing in head and neck cancers, who has helped develop Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), an advanced form of Radiation therapy.
He received a BSc with 1st class honours (Medicine and Cell Pathology) from University College London in 1989 and Middlesex Hospital, University of London. In 1992, he was awarded a 1st Class MBBS from Middlesex Hospital at the University of London. In 2001 he received a Medical Doctorate (MD Res) at The Institute of Cancer Research, University of London, and he was awarded a PhD from City University London in 2012.
In 2001 he was appointed Consultant Clinical Oncologist at the Royal Marsden Hospital and Honorary Senior Lecturer in Clinical Oncology at the Institute of Cancer Research; in 2002 he was appointed Clinical Director of the Head and Neck Unit at London’s Royal Marsden Hospital. and in 2003 he became National Clinical Lead in Head and Neck Cancer, appointed by the Department of Health (UK) and the Cancer Services Collaborative.
In 2007 he was elected Honorary Faculty member at The Institute for Cancer Research. In 2009 he was appointed Co-Chair of The Clinical and Translational Radiotherapy and Radiobiology Working Group of the NCRI, and between 2006-12 he chaired the National Cancer Research Institute's Head and Neck Cancer Clinical Studies Group (CSG).
In collaboration with the Institute of Cancer Research, he and his team at the Royal Marsden Hospital have managed a series of randomised trials using IMRT aimed at reducing the potentially debilitating side-effects of radiotherapy treatment for head and neck cancers.
The research has involved three trials – PARSPORT, COSTAR and ART DECO. Each has focussed on different cancer sites respectively to assess the impact in reducing the following principal side-effects - Xerostomia (dry mouth), hearing loss and long-term or permanent damage to the larynx.
Stanley Melville Award, British Institute of Radiology, 2012
British Institute of Radiology Mackenzie Davidson Memorial Medal and Lecture 2010
European Congress on Clinical Oncology "Best of 2009" plenary on PARSPORT trial results
ESTRO-Varian Clinical Oncology Prize 2001
British Institute of Radiology Sir Godfrey Hounsfield Lecture 2000
Royal College of Radiologists Ross Award 2000 (for presentation to BCRM)
British Institute of Radiology Flude Prize 2000 (for advancing UK radiology)
European School of Oncology Hans Wyder Travel Fellowship 2000
Royal College of Radiologists Durrant Travelling Fellowship 1999
RSM Radiology Section Finzi Prize Winner 1999
- Royal Marsden Hospital, Christopher. "Professor". Yes. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- Oncology, Lancet; 1. Nutting CM, Morden JP, Harrington KJ, Urbano TG, Bhide SA, Clark C, Miles EA, Miah AB, Newbold K, Tanay M, Adab F, Jefferies SJ, Scrase C, Yap BK, a'hern RP, Sydenham MA, Emson M, Hall E (12 January 2011). "Parotid-sparing intensity modulated versus conventional radiotherapy in head and Neck cancer (PARSPORT): a phase 3 multicentre randomised controlled trial.". Lancet Oncology.
- Nutting, C; C Rowbottom, VP Cosgrove, JM Henk, DP Dearnaley, Robinson MH, Conway J, and S Webb. (2001). "Optimisation of radiotherapy for carcinoma of the parotid gland: A comparison of conventional, three-dimensional conformal, and intensity-modulated techniques". Radiother Oncol 60: 163–172.
- Miah, AB; Bhide SA, Guerrero-Urbano MT, Clark C, Bidmead AM, St Rose S, Barbachano Y, a'hern R, Tanay M, Hickey J, Nicol R, Newbold KL, Harrington KJ, Nutting CM (Jan 13, 2011). "Dose-Escalated Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy Is Feasible and May Improve Locoregional Control and Laryngeal Preservation in Laryngo-hypopharyngeal Cancers.". Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys.
- Miles, E.A.; Clark, C.H., Urbano, M.T., Bidmead, M., Dearnaley, D.P., Harrington, K.J., A'Hern, R., and Nutting, C.M., (2005). "The impact of introducing intensity modulated radiotherapy into routine clinical practice.". Radiotherapy Oncology 77 (3): 241–6. doi:10.1016/j.radonc.2005.10.011.
- Clark, CH; Hansen VN, Chantler H, Edwards C, James HV, Webster G, Miles EA, Guerrero Urbano MT, Bhide SA, Bidmead AM, Nutting CM (Oct 2009). "PARSPORT Trial Management Group. Dosimetry audit for a multi-centre IMRT head and neck trial.". Radiother Oncol 93 (1): 102–8.