Adverts

Open Access Articles- Top Results for Cibyra Mikra

Cibyra Mikra

Cibyra (Κιβύρα) also referred to as Cibyra Mikra to distinguish it from Cibyra Magna, was a town in Pamphylia. Strabo, after mentioning Side, says, and near it is the Paralia of the Cibyratae, the Less, and then the river Melas, and a station for ships. The site of Side is well known. The Melas is the Manavgat, four miles east of Side. But there could have been no city between Side and the Melas, and it is conjectured that in Strabo's text, the Paralia of the Cibyratae should come after the Melas. The vestiges of Cibyra are probably those observed by Captain Beaufort upon a height which rises from the right bank of a considerable river about Script error: No such module "convert". to the eastward of the Melas, about Script error: No such module "convert". to the west of Cape Karáburnu, and nearly Script error: No such module "convert". from the shore.[1] Ptolemy mentions this Cibyra among the inland towns of Cilicia Trachea; but Scylax places it on the coast. There is a place, Cyberna (Κυβέρνη), mentioned in the Stadiasmus, which is placed 59 stadia east of the Melas. If the conjecture as to Strabo's text is correct, we may identify Cyberna with this Cibyra of Pamphylia.

References

  1. ^ Leake, Asia Minor, p. 196.

12px This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domainSmith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "Cibyra". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography. London: John Murray.