|Directed by||Frank Pierson|
|Written by||David Franzoni|
|Music by||Thomas Newman|
|Edited by||Peter Zinner|
Citizen Cohn is a 1992 cable film covering the life of Joseph McCarthy's controversial chief counsel Roy Cohn. James Woods, who starred as Cohn, was nominated for both an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his performance. Citizen Cohn also stars Joe Don Baker (as McCarthy), Ed Flanders (as Cohn's courtroom nemesis Joseph Welch), Frederic Forrest (as writer Dashiell Hammett), and Pat Hingle (as Cohn's onetime mentor J. Edgar Hoover). It was directed by Frank Pierson. The movie was filmed on location in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The film spans Cohn's life from childhood through his initial rise to power as McCarthy's right-hand man in the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations hearings and his eventual public discrediting a month before his death in 1986 from AIDS. It is told mostly in flashback as Cohn lies dying in a Virginia hospital, hallucinating that his many enemies (from Robert Kennedy to Ethel Rosenberg, a convicted Communist spy he sent to the electric chair) are haunting him. It concerns aspects of Cohn's life such as his closeted homosexuality and the measure of his culpability in the "Red Scare" of the 1950s. While the movie portrays Cohn in a decidedly unsympathetic light, it also depicts episodes in his life, such as the death of his beloved mother, in which he showed a more tender, compassionate side.
- James Woods as Roy Marcus Cohn
- Joe Don Baker as Sen. Joseph McCarthy
- Joseph Bologna as Walter Winchell
- Ed Flanders as Joseph N. Welch
- Jeffrey Nordling as G. David Schine
- Frederic Forrest as Dashiell Hammett
- Lee Grant as Dora Cohn
- Pat Hingle as J. Edgar Hoover
- John McMartin as 'Older Doctor'
- Karen Ludwig as Ethel Rosenberg
- Josef Sommer as Albert C. Cohn
- Daniel Benzali as Francis Joseph Cardinal Spellman
- Tovah Feldshuh as Iva Schlesinger
- John Finn as Sen. Charles Potter
- Frances Foster as 'First Annie Lee Moss'
- Novella Nelson as 'Second Annie Lee Moss'
- Allen Garfield as Abe Feller
- David Marshall Grant as Robert F. Kennedy
- Daniel von Bargen as Clyde Tolson
- Citizen Cohn at the Internet Movie Database
- McCarthyism and the Movies
- Welch-Cohn Confrontation, NY Times
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.