Clark Field (1887)
|Owner||University of Texas at Austin|
|Operator||University of Texas at Austin|
Texas Longhorns football (1896-1924) |
Texas Longhorns baseball (1894-1927)
Texas Longhorns men's basketball (1905-1917)
Clark Field, originally known as Varsity Athletic Field, was a stadium in Austin, Texas. It hosted the University of Texas at Austin Longhorns football and track teams until they moved to Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium in 1924. It also hosted the Longhorns baseball team until they moved to the second Clark Field in 1928 and the Texas Longhorns men's basketball team until they moved next door to the new Men's Gym in 1917.
The stadium opened in 1887, on part of the land on the southeast corner of 24th Street and Speedway. At its peak of activity, the facility held 20,000 spectators. In 1904 it was named after former University of Texas regent, James Benjamin Clark. Memorial Stadium was built a couple of blocks east and south of Clark Field. Following the 1927 season, the university decided to develop the land and construct the Engineering Building, Taylor Hall, on the site of the field, and the baseball team moved a short distance east to the new version of Clark Field.
Template:Texas-baseball-venue-stub Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.