|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Parent||Lloyds Banking Group|
In 1824, Dr George Pinckard formed a committee of physicians and members of the clergy which published a pamphlet called 'Prospectus for the Establishment of a new Assurance Office with Improved Arrangements'. On 18 June 1824, the Medical, Clerical and General Life Assurance Society was formed. Pinckard was appointed as Chairman, the Marquis of Huntly as President, and Pinckard's brother Joseph as Resident Secretary and Actuary. A board of directors, which included eight eminent physicians was also appointed. The company's first policy was issued to Richard Pinckard, a nephew of Dr George Pinckard.
Clerical Medical acquired the General Reversionary and Investment Company in 1913, and in 1920 a merger with The Employers’ Liability Assurance Corporation took place. In 1961 by Act of Parliament, Clerical Medical became a mutual office.
HBOS was bought by Lloyds TSB Group in January 2009. The resulting company, Lloyds Banking Group, announced in April 2009 that the Clerical Medical brand would eventually be phased out in favour of its Scottish Widows subsidiary.
- Jonathan Russell (29 April 2009). "Lloyds cuts 305 jobs and drops Clerical". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 March 2013.