Corey Brown (baseball)
Tampa Bay Rays – No. 64
Born: November 26, 1985|
|September 6, 2011 for the Washington Nationals|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||4|
Corey Allen Brown (born November 26, 1985) is an American professional baseball center fielder in the Tampa Bay Rays organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Washington Nationals and Boston Red Sox. He is 6'1" tall and he weighs 205 pounds.
Prior to playing professionally, Brown attended Plant High School and then Oklahoma State University. In his first year with Oklahoma State, in 2005, Brown hit .360 with 13 home runs and 46 RBI in 55 games. The following year, he hit .347 with 13 home runs and 40 RBI, stealing 14 bases. Brown played his final season with Oklahoma State in 2007, hitting .335 with 22 home runs, 71 RBI and 23 stolen bases. He was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the first round of the 2007 amateur draft and began his professional career that season.
Brown played for the Vancouver Canadians in 2007, hitting .268 with 11 home runs and 48 RBI in 59 games. In 2008, he played for both the Kane County Cougars (85 games, 14 home runs) and the Stockton Ports (49 games, 16 home runs), hitting a combined .266 with 30 home runs, 83 RBI and 16 stolen bases. In 2009, Brown spent his entire year with the Midland RockHounds, hitting .268 with nine home runs and 43 RBI. He split 2010 between the RockHounds and Sacramento River Cats, hitting a combined .283 with 15 home runs, 69 RBI and 22 stolen bases.
Brown's first major league hit was a home run, which he hit on July 28, 2012, against the Milwaukee Brewers in the fourth inning.
On December 12, 2013, the Nationals designated Brown for assignment after the signing of outfielder Nate McLouth. On December 19, 2013, the Nationals traded Brown to the Oakland Athletics for cash considerations. The Athletics designated Brown for assignment in January 2014, when they signed Eric O'Flaherty.
Brown signed a minor league deal with the Boston Red Sox on January 31, 2014. On August 16, 2014, the Red Sox designated Brown for assignment, after he appeared in three games at the big league level with the club. He elected free agency in October 2014.
- "A's acquire Willingham from Nationals | oaklandathletics.com: News". Oakland.athletics.mlb.com. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Baseball Reference". Baseball Reference. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Twitter / Nationals: The Nationals today signed outfielder Nate McLouth to a two-year contract and designated outfielder Corey Brown for assignment". Twitter.com. December 12, 2013. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Twitter / Nationals: The #Nationals today traded OF Corey Brown to Oakland in exchange for cash considerations". Twitter.com. December 19, 2013. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "A’s, LHP Eric O’Flaherty agree on $7M, 2-year deal". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Twitter / ESPNJoeyMac: Corey Brown has been designated for assignment an Steven Wright has been recalled.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- "Rays sign 3 to minor league deals, complete trade". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 12, 2014. Retrieved December 13, 2014.