Czechoslovakia national under-21 football team
|Shirt badge/Association crest|
|Association||Československý fotbalový svaz|
Teplice, November 12, 1975
U-21: Czechoslovakia 1-0 Italy
České Budějovice, March 23, 1994
U-23: Czechoslovakia 4-0 Austria
Michalovce, September 25, 1990
|UEFA U-21 Championship|
|Appearances||6 (First in 1978)|
|Best result||Quarter-Final, six occasions|
The Czechoslovakia national under-21 football team was the national football team for the under-21s of Czechoslovakia, before the country split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia (For information about the national teams of the two countries, see the articles Czech Republic national under-21 football team and Slovakia national under-21 football team.)
Following the realignment of UEFA's youth competitions in 1976, Czechoslovakia's Under-21 team was formed. Despite the end of the country in January 1993, the team played until March 1994, fulfilling its fixtures in the UEFA U-21 Championship as a combined team. Since the under-21 competition rules state that players must be 21 or under at the start ot a two year competition, technically it is an U-23 competition. Czechoslovakia's record for the preceding U-23 competitions is also shown.
In its twelve U-23 and U-21 competitions, the team had a decent record, winning the first competition in 1972 and reaching the quarter-finals on seven occasions. The team failed to qualify for the final eight on four occasions.
UEFA U-23 Championship Record
Czechoslovakia were randomly chosen to play holders Bulgaria for the title, which they did not win. The competition was abandoned in summer 1970 for a larger competition, Czechoslovakia's next competitive match was in qualification for that competition, which ended in 1972 with them as champions.
- November 15, 1967: Bulgaria 2-1 Czechoslovakia
- 1972: Champions.
- 1974: Losing quarter-finalists.
- 1976: Did not qualify. Finished 3rd of 3 in qualification group.
UEFA U-21 Championship Record
- 1978: Losing quarter-finalists.
- 1980: Losing quarter-finalists.
- 1982: Did not qualify. Finished 2nd of 3 in qualification group.
- 1984: Did not qualify. Finished 2nd of 4 in qualification group.
- 1986: Did not qualify. Finished 3rd of 4 in qualification group.
- 1988: Losing quarter-finalists.
- 1990: Losing quarter-finalists.
- 1992: Losing quarter-finalists.
- 1994: Losing quarter-finalists.
- UEFA Under-21 website Contains full results archive
- The Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation Contains full record of U-21/U-23 Championships.