Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma
|File:Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma company logo.png|
|Traded as||TYO: 4506|
|Industry||Biotech & Pharmaceuticals|
|Founded||October 1, 2005 (merger of Dainippon Pharmaceutical & Sumitomo Pharmaceuticals)|
|Headquarters||6-8, Doshomachi 2-chome, Chuo-ku, Osaka, Osaka 541-0045, Japan|
|Masayo Tada, (President and CEO)|
|Revenue||¥ 387.69 billion) (FY 2013)|
|#redirect Template:If affirmed||
11px US$ 194.94 million (FY 2013)(¥ 20.06 billion) (FY 2013)
Number of employees
4,291 (non-consolidated) (as of June 30, 2014)
Footnotes / references|
The original Dainippon Pharmaceuticals (Dainippon Seiyaku) was established in 1885 by Nagayo Sensai, a graduate of Tekijuku – the first private medical school in Japan established by Ogata Kōan. It was set up as a wholly private company invested by a number of people in Tokyo and Osaka, with the land and buildings let by the government. Technical expertise for the enterprise was provided by Shibata Shokei and Nagai Nagayoshi, who were also among the first students trained abroad at government expense.
The company started its operation in 1885 with equipment imported from Germany. The main products were tincture and other similar drugs listed in the Japanese Pharmacopoeia. Among them was ephedrine, an anti-asthma drug invented by Nagai. In 1893, however, Nagai left the company and the business started to make a loss. in 1898 it was acquired by Osaka Seiyaku (Osaka Pharmaceutical).
Another origin of the company is Sumitomo Pharmaceuticals, incorporated in 1984 as a subsidiary of Sumitomo Chemical (holding 77.83% of the share as of 2006). Dainippon and Sumitomo merged on October 1, 2005 to create Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma. As a result Sumitomo Chemical has 50.20% ownership in Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma as of March 31, 2014.
- "Corporate Profile". Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- "Fact Book 2014" (PDF). Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "Company Snapshot". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- "Company Profile". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- "Company Summary". Google Finance. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- Odagiri, Hiroyuki (1996). Technology and Industrial Development in Japan. Clarendon Press, Oxford. p. 239. ISBN 0-19-828802-6.
- 連結子会社の合併に関するお知らせ (PDF) (in 日本語). Sumitomo Chemical. November 25, 2004. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "Corporate History". Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Invalid language code.
- Official website (Archive)