Worth with the Detroit Tigers
|Infielder / Utility Player / Pitcher|
Born: September 30, 1985|
|May 16, 2010 for the Detroit Tigers|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||19|
Daniel Weston Worth (born September 30, 1985) is an American professional baseball infielder in the Arizona Diamondbacks organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Detroit Tigers.
Worth was born in Northridge, California and attended Valencia High School in Valencia, California. He went on to attend Pepperdine University in Malibu, California, where he was a member of the baseball team. Worth was named a preseason All American during his junior season and was also named a West Coast Conference All Star.
Worth was drafted by the Tigers in the second round (91st overall) of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. He played in the minor leagues for the Lakeland Flying Tigers (A), the Erie SeaWolves (AA), and the Toledo Mud Hens (AAA). He was named the 8th best prospect in the Tigers system for the 2008 season by Baseball America. The same publication also listed him as the best defensive infielder.
Major League career
Worth was called up on May 16, 2010. He appeared in his first Major League game that afternoon, replacing Scott Sizemore at second base when the Tigers sent Sizemore down to Triple-A. In his first major league at-bat Worth hit an infield single with the bases loaded and two outs, picking up his first major league hit and RBI. He was called up again on June 6 to replace Adam Everett in the lineup, who was designated for assignment on that date. Worth ultimately appeared in 39 games, mostly at shortstop.
Worth entered the 2011 season as a candidate for playing time as a utility infielder. He ultimately appeared in 30 games at the major league level, often appearing as a defensive replacement at second or third base.
In 2012, Worth entered spring as a candidate for a utility infielder job, and made the opening day roster for the first time in his career. On April 13, he was optioned to the Toledo Mud Hens when Brandon Inge returned from the disabled list. Worth was recalled on April 28 when Delmon Young was placed on the restricted list.
On December 13, 2013, the Tigers designated Worth for assignment after the signing of pitcher Joba Chamberlain. He cleared waivers on December 16 and was assigned to AAA Toledo. His contract was purchased by the Tigers on April 20, 2014 to replace Álex González, who was released.
On May 22, 2014, the Tigers were trailing the Texas Rangers 9–2 after eight innings when Worth entered the game as a pitcher for the first time in his career. Using mainly knuckleballs, Worth allowed one hit and struck out two to retire the side in the top of the ninth inning. He became the first Tiger position player to pitch a full inning since Mark Koenig in 1931.
Worth was designated for assignment by the Tigers on June 4, allowing the Tigers to bring up Eugenio Suárez from Triple-A Toledo. He cleared waivers and was sent to Triple-A Toledo on June 6. Worth elected free agency on October 12, 2014.
- Osborne, Cary (May 23, 2010). "Love the glove". The-signal.com. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Kornacki, Steve (May 17, 2010). "New Tigers infielder Danny Worth recalls Pamela Anderson at Pepperdine games". MLive.com. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Paul, Jon (January 18, 2008). "Prospects: Rankings: Organization Top 10 Prospects: Detroit Tigers". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Seidel, Jeff (May 28, 2014). "Detroit Tigers' Danny Worth just happy to be in majors, doing whatever, for as long as possible". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Santiago homers as Tigers take two of three from Red Sox". ESPN.com. Associated Press. May 16, 2010. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Zuba, Samuel (June 6, 2010). "Everett gets designated for assignment – Worth called up from Triple-A Toledo for Tuesday in Chicago". MLB.com. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Danny Worth". Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Baltimore Orioles vs. Detroit Tigers – Box Score – July 7, 2010". Scores.espn.go.com. July 7, 2010. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- "Danny Worth Standard Fielding". Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Opening Day lineup: Prince Fielder makes Detroit Tigers debut, Justin Verlander takes mound". Mlive. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Beck, Jason. "Tigers place Young on restricted list". MLB.com. Retrieved April 28, 2012.
- Sipple, George (March 28, 2013). "Tigers send Danny Worth to Toledo to complete 25-man roster". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- Adams, Steve (December 13, 2013). "Tigers Designate Danny Worth For Assignment". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Schmehl, James (December 16, 2013). "Detroit Tigers' Danny Worth, Luis Marte outrighted to Triple-A Toledo after clearing waivers". Chat Sports. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Tigers release Gonzalez, call up Worth". MLB.com. April 20, 2014.
- "Danny Worth, yes Danny Worth, strikes out two in pitching appearance". clickondetriot.com. May 22, 2014. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- Slovin, Matt (May 22, 2014). "Worth debuts knuckleball in rare mound appearance". MLB.com. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- "Tigers rule Iglesias out for season". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 4, 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Tigers outright IF Danny Worth to Triple-A Toledo". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 7, 2014. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Creech, Edward (October 12, 2014). "Minor Moves: Reimold, Wilson, Cedeno, Bianchi, Pagnozzi". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Infielder Danny Worth signs minor-league deal with Arizona Diamondbacks