Dave Phillips (umpire)
October 8, 1943|
St. Louis, Missouri
|Weight||Script error: No such module "convert"..|
David Robert Phillips (born October 8, 1943) is a retired umpire, first with the American League from 1971-1999, then with both leagues from 2001-2002. Phillips wore uniform number 7 when the American League adopted uniform numbers for its umpires in 1980, and retained the number when the staffs merged in 2000.
Phillips umpired in three American League Division Series (1981, 1997, and 1998), six American League Championship Series (1974, 1978, 1983, 1985—crew chief, 1989—crew chief, and 1995—crew chief), four World Series (1976, 1982, 1987—crew chief, and 1993—crew chief) and two All-Star Games (1977 and 1990).
Phillips served during six no-hitters (Nolan Ryan's second no-hitter (July 15, 1973, first base), Jim Bibby (July 30, 1973, first base), the combined no-hitter of Vida Blue, Glenn Abbott, Paul Lindblad and Rollie Fingers (September 28, 1975, first base), Randy Johnson (June 2, 1990, second base), Bret Saberhagen (August 26, 1991, second base), and Scott Erickson (April 27, 1994, first base)).
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, Phillips ejected Seattle Mariners pitcher Gaylord Perry for throwing an illegal pitch, the first such ejection of Perry's career.
On July 15,
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, Phillips was the plate umpire when he decided to take Albert Belle's bat and have it placed in the umpire's locker room, after Chicago White Sox manager Gene Lamont alleged that the bat was corked. As the Indians were aware that Belle's bat was corked, Cleveland pitcher Jason Grimsley managed to get into the umpire's locker room and put a different bat in place of Belle's. However, the trick did not work as the new bat had Paul Sorrento's name on it, and Belle received a seven-game suspension.
- Dave Phillips Retrosheet.org. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- (August 24, 1982). Career first: Perry ejected from game for an illegal pitch St. Joseph News Press. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- Biggest cheaters in baseball ESPN.com - Page 2. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).