|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (May 2009)|
David Giler is an American filmmaker who has been active in the motion picture industry since the early 1960s.
He started his career as a writer, providing scripts for television programs such as Kraft Suspense Theatre and The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. He then moved to screenplays in the 70's, helping to write films such as The Parallax View and the original version of Fun With Dick and Jane.
He produced his first film in 1970, the critically reviled Myra Breckinridge, an adaptation of Gore Vidal's controversial novel (he also co-wrote the film with director Michael Sarne). In 1975 he turn to directing, his only film to date in that capacity, The Black Bird.
He formed the production company Brandywine Productions with Walter Hill and Gordon Carroll and in 1979 the trio co-produced the legendary horror thriller Alien. He and Hill became embroiled in a much-publicized behind-the-scenes fight with Alien's original writer, Dan O'Bannon, over who was to receive screenplay credit. Giler and Hill claim they completely rewrote the script  and therefore wanted to relegate O'Bannon to a 'story by' credit only. O'Bannon claimed they did little more than change the names of the characters and dialogue. Ultimately, O'Bannon was the only one to receive credit for the screenplay in the final film, alongside a 'story by' co-credit with Ronald Shusett.
In the 1980's Giler and Hill wrote screenplays for The Money Pit, Southern Comfort, and an uncredited rewrite for Beverly Hills Cop II. They also wrote the storyline, alongside James Cameron, which became the basis for Cameron's 1986 sequel, Aliens.
During the 1990's Giler executive produced Tales from the Crypt and Tales from the Cryptkeeper for cable channel HBO before returning to the Alien franchise, producing (and co-writing with Hill and Larry Ferguson) Alien 3 (1992) and Alien: Resurrection in 1997.
In 2012, Giler, Hill and Ridley Scott reunited for the first time since 1979 for the Scott-directed Prometheus.
- The Gallant Men (1962) (TV)
- Kraft Suspense Theatre (1964) (TV)
- Burke's Law (1965) (TV)
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (1967) (TV)
- The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. (1967) (TV)
- The Bold Ones (1969) (TV)
- Myra Breckinridge (with Michael Sarne) (1970)
- The Parallax View (with Lorenzo Semple Jr.) (1974)
- The Black Bird (1975) (also Director)
- Fun with Dick and Jane (with Jerry Belson and Mordecai Richler) (1977)
- Alien (with Walter Hill)
- Southern Comfort (with Michael Kane and Walter Hill) (1981)
- The Money Pit (1986)
- Aliens (with James Cameron and Walter Hill) (1986) (Story Only)
- Beverly Hills Cop II (1987) (uncredited)
- Tales from the Crypt (1989 - 1996)
- Alien 3 (with Walter Hill and Larry Ferguson) (1992)
- Tales from the Cryptkeeper (1993 - 1994)
- Undisputed (with Walter Hill) (2002)
- Ritual (2002)
- Alien vs. Predator (2004)
- Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
- Prometheus (2012)
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).