David Greene (director)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
Lucius David Syms Brian Lederman|
22 February 1921
Manchester, Lancashire, England, U.K.
7 April 2003 (aged 82)|
Ojai, California, U.S.
L. David Syms-Greene (22 February 1921 – 7 April 2003), born Lucius David Syms Brian Lederman, was a British television and film director who was born in Manchester, Lancashire, England, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1953, where he trained in television production with the CBC, and then moved on to Hollywood, California.
Greene's career began as a stage actor and director in Britain in 1948. In 1950, he appeared in the film The Wooden Horse. In Hollywood, Greene became best known for television and film productions. Among these were:
- A Season in Purgatory (1996) starring Patrick Dempsey
- Children of the Dust (1995) starring Sidney Poitier
- What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1991) starring the Redgrave sisters, Lynn and Vanessa, a remake of the 1962 film of the same name.
- Liberace: Behind the Music (1988) starring Victor Garber
- Inherit the Wind (1988) starring Kirk Douglas and Jason Robards, Jr.
- Circle of Violence (1986) starring Tuesday Weld and River Phoenix; won a Wise Owl Award for Outstanding Television film.
- Fatal Vision (TV)(1984) starring Karl Malden and Eva Marie Saint
- Rehearsal For Murder (1982) starring Robert Preston and Lynn Redgrave
- Friendly Fire (1979) starring Carol Burnett; won Emmy for Outstanding Directing in a Limited Series or a Special
- Roots (1977) starring Lorne Greene and Maya Angelou; won Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series
- Rich Man, Poor Man (1976) starring Nick Nolte and Ray Milland; won Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series
- Godspell (1973); the film was nominated for the Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival
- The People Next Door (1970), an episode of CBS Playhouse starring Eli Wallach and Julie Harris; won Emmy Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Drama
Greene was married seven times: Margaret Lane (1941–48), Katharine Blake (1948–59), Eileen Grace Jack (1959–70), Thomasina Doreen Patricia Jones (1972–73), Vanessa Linsell (1975–81), Lauren Rickey Greene (1981–2001) and Kelly Greene (2003). Greene was divorced from five of his seven wives. His marriage to Thomasina ended in her death and his seventh ended in his own death three days later. He had one child each with Vanessa Linsell, Thomasina Jones, Eileen Grace Jack and Katharine Blake.
- The Shuttered Room (1967)
- Sebastian (1968)
- The Strange Affair (1968)
- I Start Counting (1969)
- Gray Lady Down (1977)
- Hard Country (1981)
David Greene learned his acting craft in the renowned repertory theatre, the Oxford Playhouse, during the 1940s, in particular working under the director Peter Ashmore.
- "The New York Times". The New Times. Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- Vincent Canby (1973-03-22). "Godspell (1973) The Gospel According to 'Godspell' Comes to Screen". The New York Times.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).