David Hollatz (dogmatician)
|This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2014)|
David Hollatz, Lutheran dogmatician; born at Wulkow, near Stargard (34 km ESE of Stettin), in Pomerania, 1648; died at Jakobshagen (24 km E of Stargard) April 17, 1713. He studied at Erfurt and Wittenberg, and became preacher at Pützerlin near Stargard in 1670, at Stargard in 1681 (in 1683 also conrector), rector in Colberg in 1684, and pastor in Jakobshagen in 1692.
His principal work is his Examen theologicum acroamaticum (Rostock - afterward Stockholm - and Leipzig, 1707; 7th and 8th eds. by Romanus Teller, 1750 and 1763). The work is the last of the strict Lutheran systems of dogmatics in the era of Lutheran orthodoxy. Hollatz knows Pietism, but does not mention it, although he refutes mysticism. The system is divided into quaestiones, which are explained by probationes; these are followed by antitheses, against which the different instantia are brought forward. Hollatz also published Scrutinium veritatis in mysticorum dogmata (Wittenberg, 1711); Ein gottgeheiligt dreifaches Kleeblatt (Leidender Jesus) (1713); a collection of sermons; and other works.
- 12px This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Jackson, Samuel Macauley, ed. (1914). "Hollatz (Hollatius), David". New Schaff–Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (third ed.). London and New York: Funk and Wagnalls.
From Examen Theologicum Acroamaticum
- The Restoration and Resurrection of the Dead (Part I) Tr. by Kirk E. Lahmann
- The Restoration and Resurrection of the Dead (Part II) Tr. by Kirk E. Lahmann
- The Highest Mystery of the Most Holy Trinity in the Old Testament Tr. by Nathaniel J. Biebert
- Baptism and the Means of Salvation Tr. by Nathaniel J. Biebert
- The order of evangelical grace in the economy of salvation
- Studium Excitare: Biography of David Hollaz by Kirk E. Lahmann
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).