|Name meaning||from personal name|
|Date of depopulation||July 18, 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Military assault by Yishuv forces|
|Current localities||Givat Shemesh|
In the late nineteenth century, Dayr Rafat was described as a small hamlet situated on a ridge with a spring to the west. In a 1931 British census, there were 218 Arabs living in Dayr Rafat, rising to 430 in Sami Hadawi's 1945 land and population survey. The village had a mosque named for al-Hajj Hasan and three khirbas.
1948 Arab–Israeli War
Dayr Rafat, along with four other villages, were overtaken by the Israeli Harel Brigade on 17-18 July 1948 in Operation Dani. The villages had been on the front line since April 1948 and most of the inhabitants of these villages had already left the area. Many of those who stayed fled when Israeli forces attacked and the few who remained at each village were expelled.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 324
- Morris, 2004, p.xx, village #333. Also gives cause of depopulation.
- Khalidi, 1992, p. 287
- Conder and Kitchener, 1883, SWP III, p. 13, Quoted in Khalidi, 1992, p. 287
- Benny Morris, "The birth of the Palestinian refugee problem revisited", p.436. Cambridge University Press, 2004. ISBN 9780521009676
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, Herbert H. (1883). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 3. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Khalidi, Walid (1992). All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.