Examples of defacement include:
- Marking or removing the part of an object (especially images, be they on the page, in illustrative art or as a sculpture) designed to hold the viewers' attention
- Scoring a book cover with a blade
- Splashing paint over a painting in a gallery
- Smashing the nose of a sculpted bust
- Altering the content of web sites and publicly editable repositories to include nonsensical or whimsical references.
Iconoclasm led to the defacement of many religious artworks.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Defacement of graffiti.|
- Library of Congress; Library of Congress. Cataloging Policy and Support Office; Library of Congress. Subject Cataloging Division; Library of Congress. Office for Subject Cataloging Policy (1996). Library of Congress subject headings. Library of Congress. p. 1430. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.