The Denton A. Cooley Pavilion (or Cooley Pavilion) is the practice and training facility serving the men's and women's basketball teams of The University of Texas at Austin. The facility is named for Dr. Denton A. Cooley, a UT alumnus, basketball letterman (1939–41), and pioneering heart surgeon.
The Cooley Pavilion opened in the fall of 2003. The two-level, 44,000-square-foot facility was constructed during the final phase of the renovation of the adjacent Frank Erwin Center, the multipurpose, on-campus arena that serves as the home court for the Longhorn basketball teams. The Texas men's and women's teams have separate 9,000-square-foot practice court areas, each consisting of one full-court and one half-court practice area with seven basket stations. The practice facility also includes a locker room with a players' lounge, an instructional film theater, a 4,100-square-foot strength and conditioning area, an athletic training and hydrotherapy area, an academic resource and activity center, and a coaches' lounge and locker room.
The master plan released in 2013 for the University's new Dell Medical School indicated that the Cooley Pavilion and Erwin Center would be demolished in a later phase of construction within six to fifteen years. No decisions have yet been made as to the location or features of the basketball practice and training facility that will replace the Cooley Pavilion.
Notes and references