Diao is the Mandarin pinyin romanization of the Chinese surname written 刁 in Chinese character. It is romanized as Tiao in Wade–Giles. Diao is listed 148th in the Song dynasty classic text Hundred Family Surnames. As of 2008, it is the 245th most common surname in China, shared by 300,000 people.
- Diao Jian (刁间), one of the richest merchants of the Western Han dynasty
- Diao Zidu (刁子都; died 26 AD), Xin dynasty rebel leader
- Diao Xie (刁協; died 322), Eastern Jin dynasty prime minister
- Diao Yi (刁彝), son of Diao Xie, avenged his father's death
- Diao Yong (刁雍; 390–484), Eastern Jin official, great-grandson of Diao Xie
- Diao Guangyin or Diao Guang (刁光胤; ca. 852–935), Tang dynasty painter
- George Tiao (刁錦寰; born 1933), statistician, member of the Academia Sinica
- David Diao (born 1943), Chinese-American artist
- Diao Guoxin (刁国新; born 1958), PLA lieutenant general
- Diao Yinan (born 1969), filmmaker and actor
- Diao Xiaojuan (刁小娟; born 1986), female cyclist
- Barbie Diao (刁扬; born 1990), model
- "百家姓" [Hundred Family Surnames] (in Chinese). Guoxue. Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- 中国最新300大姓排名（2008） [300 most common surnames in China (2008)] (in Chinese). Taiwan.cn. 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2014-11-03.