A digital pen is an input device which captures the handwriting or brush strokes of a user, converts handwritten analog information created using "pen and paper" into digital data, enabling the data to be utilized in various applications. For example, the writing data can be digitized and uploaded to a computer and displayed on its monitor. The data can then be interpreted by handwriting software (OCR) to allow the digital pen to act as a text entry interface and be used in different applications or just as graphics.
A digital pen is generally larger and has more features than a stylus. Digital pens typically contain internal electronics and have features such as touch sensitivity, input buttons, memory, writing data transmission capabilities, and electronic erasers.
- Accelerometer-based digital pens contain components that detect movement of the pen and contact with the writing surface.
- Active pens, such as N-trig's DuoSense Pen™, include electronic components whose signals are picked up a mobile device's built-in digitizer and transmitted to its controller, providing data on pen location, pressure, button presses and other functionality.
- Position-based digital pens use a facility to detect the location of the tip during writing. Some models can be found on graphics tablets made popular by Wacom, and on tablet computers using Wacom's Penabled™ technology.
- Camera-based pens use special digital paper to detect where the stylus contacts the writing surface, such as those using Anoto technology.
- Trackball pen
- Trackball pens use a sensor that is located on the pen to detect the motion of the trackball.
|Manufacturer||Product||Uses Anoto pattern||Remarks|
|N-trig||DuoSense Pen||n||Active pen that is bundled with a wide range of touchscreen devices from Microsoft, Sony, Asus, Acer, HTC and others|
|Wacom||Penabled||n||a digital pen for drawing|
|e-pens||e-pens product comparison||n||e-pens is a manufacturer of digital pen technology with a range of products that can be used in conjunction with Windows PCs, Mac OS X, Android, Blackberry, iPhone and iPad, iPod touch devices|
|Logitech||io (and io2) Digital Pen||y|
|InfoMax Technologies||Digital Pen Solution||?|
|Digital Pen Corporation||Digital Pen Solution||y|
|Nokia||Digital Pen SU-1B||y|
|Atary||Atary Digital Pen||?||can be used as regular pen or as a stylus with a Teflon adapter.|
|wwsolution.in||Trackball pen||n||manufacture by wwsolution.in|
|Oxford Papershow||Trackball pen||y||The technology involves a USB key to synchronise with the digital pen enabling instant connectivity between pen and PC.|
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.