Discovery Channel (Canada)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
|Launched||January 1, 1995|
CTV Specialty Television (80% and managing partner)|
Discovery Communications (20%)
|Slogan||Grab Life by the Globe|
Channel 520 (SD)|
Channel 1602 (HD)
Channel 505 (SD)|
Channels 93 and 593 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Consult your local cable provider for channel availability|
Channel 286 (SD)|
Channel 430 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||
Channel 520 (SD)|
Channel 1520 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 104 (SD)|
|Optik TV (British Columbia and Alberta)||
Channel 200 (SD)|
Channel 687 (HD)
|Optik TV (Quebec)||Channel 175 (SD)|
|SaskTel||Channel 51 (SD)|
Discovery Channel (better known simply as Discovery) is a Canadian English language Category A cable and satellite specialty channel that is owned by CTV Specialty Television Inc. (a joint venture between Bell Media (80%) and ESPN Inc. (20%), which owns 80% majority of the channel) and Discovery Communications (which owns the remaining 20%). The channel is devoted to nature, adventure, science and technology programming.
Licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) in 1994, Discovery Channel launched on January 1, 1995 under the ownership of NetStar Communications Inc. On March 24, 2000, the CRTC approved a proposal by CTV Inc. to acquire an 80% voting interest in NetStar Communications Inc. (the remaining 20% owned by ESPN Inc.). CTV renamed the company CTV Speciality Television Inc.
Although much of Discovery's programming is shared with its American counterpart, the Canadian channel has separate ownership and produces much of its own programming as well. Most notably, the channel produces a daily science news program, Daily Planet. Some of the imported programs from the flagship Discovery Channel are presented differently than in the United States, with different air dates for shows such as The Deadliest Catch (Canadian air dates for episodes during the fourth season aired approximately one month after their U.S. debut), and Dirty Jobs (Discovery Channel Canada broadcasts are edited to remove appeals for submissions). Discovery Channel Canada also produces its own version of the Cash Cab game show, in lieu of broadcasting the American version (although the host of the Canadian version has on one occasion hosted the U.S. program as well).
Despite the inclusion of American programming, the Canadian programming lineup more so resembles the American version of Science than the U.S. Discovery Channel.[original research?] In fact, some programs seen on Science (such as How It's Made, Building the Ultimate and Ultimate Cars) were produced by Discovery Channel Canada.
Discovery Channel Canada rates its programs as "Exempt" (meriting no on-screen icon or advisory), with the exception of series such as The Sex Files, Forensic Factor, A Haunting and Criss Angel: Mindfreak which were rated 18+; Guinea Pig, which was rated 14+ but later reassigned an 18+ rating; and Destroyed in Seconds, which was originally rated Exempt, but was later assigned a 14+ rating.
- Disaster Detectives – This weekly block primarily focuses on disasters; as of 2006, however, the block has also incorporated programs centering on supernatural encounters
- Discovery Sunday Showcase – Airing on Sunday evenings from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m. Eastern and Pacific Time, it usually features programmes of two to three hours in length, usually followed by a theme week. In 2006, the block was renamed as "Discovery Presents".
- Supercharged Saturday – This Saturday night block focuses on programming focusing on explosions (such as Destroyed in Seconds).
- Ultimate – This block features shows that deal with engineering projects, or showcase machinery.
- Wild Discovery – This block features shows about wildlife, or animals in general.
- World's Greatest Mysteries – This block features shows about mysteries and ancient civilizations.
- Monster Monday – A now-defunct Monday block that focused monstrous projects, including Monster Garage, Monster House, and Frontiers of Construction.
List of Canadian-made Discovery Channel programs
Exploration Production Inc., a producer and distributor of factual content, primarily episodic series and science magazines for television, was founded and launched in 1993. NetStar Communications Inc. owned the company under Discovery Channel Canada, and it was acquired by CTV during the CTV-NetStar acquisition. EPI has produced many shows found in Discovery Channel and other affiliated Canadian channels.
Discovery Channel HD
Discovery Channel HD is a high definition simulcast feed of Discovery Channel that broadcasts in the 1080i resolution format. The first incarnation of the HD feed was launched on August 15, 2003. The feed was shut down on December 19, 2005, and replaced by a separate category 2 digital cable specialty channel called Discovery HD Theatre (later Discovery World, now Discovery Velocity), featuring programming similar to that found on Discovery Channel.
On June 17, 2011, Bell Media announced that it would launch, for a second time, an HD simulcast feed of Discovery Channel; this feed was launched on August 18, 2011. It is available on Bell TV, Bell Fibe TV, Shaw Cable, Rogers Cable, Vidéotron and Telus Optik TV.
- www.discovery.ca – Discovery Channel Canada official website
- CRTC Homepage
- Exploration Production Inc. official website