Larry Underwood as Dr. Gangrene.
|Birth name||Larry W. Underwood|
September 9, 1966|
|Show||Dr. Gangrene Presents|
|Station(s)||Nashville's CW58 WNAB|
|Time slot||Saturday @ 1am (Sun morn)|
|Previous show(s)||Dr. Gangrene's Creature Feature|
Underwood was inspired to create the character as an homage to Sir Cecil Creape, a former Nashville horror host. Created in 1999, the show was originally a half hour Public-access television cable TV program called Chiller Cinema in Hendersonville, Tennessee. The first episode aired July 1, 1999 on the Hendersonville, TN Public-access television station. The show quickly expanded into Nashville, Tennessee where it aired on Community Access Channel 19. Chiller Cinema was the first program to broadcast live out of the new Public, educational, and government access television building where CH 19 broadcast from. Chiller Cinema was soon seen on other Public-access television stations across the country, making Underwood one of the first horror hosts to self syndicate his program.
Creature Feature on Nashville's CW58
The show moved to Nashville's WB affiliate WNAB in 2005, and was renamed The WB58 Creature Feature, expanding to a two-hour format showing horror and Sci-Fi movies. It later changed its name slightly to The CW58 Creature Feature to match WNAB's switchover from The WB to The CW in September 2006.
Below is a partial list of films hosted by Dr. Gangrene while on the air on WNAB, Nashville's CW58. First airing only listed:
The Dreadful Hallowgreen Special - 10-31-10
Eegah - 9-25-10
The Sadist - 9-18-10
The Untold - 9-4-10
Dark Descent - 8-21-10
Glass Trap - 8-14-10
Dark Waters - 8-7-10
Absolon - 7-31-10
Black Cadillac - 7-24-10
The Cave - 7-17-10
Deep Shock - 7-10-10
A Christmas Carol – 12-25-09
The Hollow - 10/30/09
They Crawl - 10/30/09
Night Tide – 10-17-09
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - 11-01-08
White Zombie - 10-11-08
Phantom Planet - 09-27-08
Little Shop of Horrors - 09-13-08
Five Deadly Venoms - 02-02-08
The Last Man On Earth - 12-29-07
Night of the Living Dead - 10-13-07
The House That Dripped Blood - 05-26-07
The Wraith - 05-13-06
Piranha - 05-06-06
Total Recall - 04-29-06
Future Zone - 04-22-06
Future Force - 04-15-06
The Brain That Wouldn't Die - 04-08-06
The Screaming Skull - 03-25-06
Space Mutiny - 03-18-06
Little Shop of Horrors - 03-11-06
Phoenix The Warrior - 02-19-06
The Ex - 02-12-06
The Giant Gila Monster - 02-05-06
Aerobicide - 01-29-06
The Descendant - 01-07-06
Nosferatu - 12-31-05
Beyond Tomorrow - 12-24-05
The Devil Bat - 12-10-05
DNA - 12-03-05
Total Recall - 11-26-05
Specimen - 11-19-05
Piranha - 11-12-05
Sometimes They Come Back For More - 11-05-05
Dreamscape - 10-29-05
Bruiser - 10-22-05
Awards and Media
- Gear Magazine named Dr. Gangrene's Chiller Cinema the 11th best cable access show in the country in the October 2000 issue.
- In 2005 Dr. Gangrene won a Rondo Award for BEST WEBSITE at the The Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards. He won a second Rondo Award in 2008 for his "Go Green with Dr. Gangrene" PSA Campaign (see below). He won a third Rondo in 2014 for BEST HORROR BLOG.
- On October 30, 2007 a photo of Dr. Gangrene alongside legendary horror host Zacherley appeared in USA Today along with a mention in an article about horror hosts.
- Dr. Gangrene appeared on Spike TV along with several other horror hosts introducing the film SANTA'S SLAY.
- In April 2010 Dr. Gangrene was featured in Rue Morgue Magazine #103 in an article spotlighting the top horror hosts from across the country.
- Doctor Gangrene has appeared in a number of other magazines including Horrorhound, Scary Monsters, Dark Realms, Mondo Cult, Outre, and many others.
- Larry has appeared in a number of movies as both himself and Dr. Gangrene, including the 2006 horror host documentary American Scary.
- In November 2011 Dr. Gangrene appeared in the nationally syndicated DICK TRACY comic strip over a 3-day period (although he was listed as Dr. Mean Green for copyright reasons). Day one he was mentioned, day two he appeared in a 3 panel strip, and day 3 was a 3-tier Sunday strip.
- On March 21st, 2015 Dr. Gangrene was inducted into the Horror Host Hall of Fame. The ceremony was held at the Horrorhound Weekend Convention in Cincinnatti, OH. Dr. Gangrene also gave the induction speech for Sir Cecil creape.
Dr. Gangrene continues to stay busy, airing reruns of Dr. Gangrene Presents on Nashville's Education Channel as well as his current project, "The Fantastic Films of Vincent Price", a YouTube series with Dr. Gangrene exploring the filmography of Vincent Price, first to last. He is a regular guest at the Wonderfest convention in Louisville, Kentucky, where he hosts live movies every year. He also writes a regular column for Scary Monsters Magazine featuring interviews, reviews and essays on horror movies and creators.
Go Green With Dr. Gangrene Campaign
In 2008, Dr. Gangrene appeared in a series of Public Service Announcements entitled Go Green With Dr. Gangrene. The initial three shorts were entitled "Bonehead", "Two Lane Trash Stop", and "Trash Day Of The Dead". The shorts were written by Cameron McCasland and Larry Underwood and directed by Cameron McCasland. The series went on to win several local and national awards, including an Emmy Nomination for McCasland, and citations from the Governor of Tennessee Phil Bredesen, and the Nashville City Council. In the 2008 Rondo Awards the PSAs were awarded a special Rondo Award in The Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards called "The Vasaria Public Service Rondo Award" http://www.rondoaward.com/rondo/RondoVIIwinners.htm
- FilmFax: Outre Magazine #21 - Dr Gangrene wrote article about his hero, Sir Cecil Creape, previous Nashville Horror Host.
- Scary Monster Magazine #36: Dr. Gangrene" Featured article. Dr. Gangrene appears on cover, painted by Terry Beatty. Limited edition numbered Dr. Gangrene special version also offered which included Dr. Gangrene postcard.
- The Horror Host Underground: "Dr. Gangrene's Chiller Cinema"
- USA Today Horror Host Article USA Today, October 30, 2007 - Horror hosts article ran in print version with photo of Dr. Gangrene alongside legendary horror host Zacherley