|Doosan Bears – No. 40|
Born: May 6, 1981|
Wheeling, West Virginia
|MLB: September 8, 2005 for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
|KBO: April 2, 2011 for the Doosan Bears|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2010 season)
|Earned run average||5.31|
|KBO statistics |
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.53|
Dustin David Nippert (born May 6, 1981 in Wheeling, West Virginia) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Doosan Bears of the Korea Baseball Organization. He previously played for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball.
Nippert grew up in the small Ohio town of Beallsville, where he played baseball for Beallsville High School. He attended West Virginia University, where he played college baseball for the Mountaineers in 2002.
Major League Baseball
Nippert was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft in the 15th round and made his major league debut on September 8, 2005 with the same organization that drafted him. On March 28, 2008, he was traded to the Texas Rangers for Jose Marte.
The 2009 season is best on record for Nippert in his major league career, when he compiled a 5-3 record with an ERA of 3.88 in 69.2 innings for the Rangers. During the next year, he was able to shake off a scary incident on July 19, 2010 when he was hit on the side of the head by a line drive hit by Austin Jackson against the Detroit Tigers. The ball was hit so hard that it ricocheted off of his head and past third base into left field. Nippert walked off the field smiling to a standing ovation in Detroit but was placed on the 15-day DL after the game.
Korea Baseball Organization
On March 3, 2011, Nippert signed with the Doosan Bears of the Korea Baseball Organization. Due to his solid performances in a Doosan uniform, Doosan fans have christened him "NINUNIM(Korean: 니느님, NIppert+haNUNIM(GOD)) and remains a popular player in the KBO.
- "West Virginia University Baseball Players Who Made it to the Major Leagues". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-11. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- Axisa, Mike. "Dustin Nippert Signed With Team In Korea". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- [프로야구]두산 니퍼트 "니느님? 그저 고마울 뿐" (in Korean). Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Career statistics and player information from Korea Baseball Organization