Entomophthoramycosis (or Entomophthoromycosis:) is a mycosis caused by Entomophthorales.
Examples include basidiobolomycosis and conidiobolomycosis.
Treatment for phycomycosis is very difficult and includes surgery when possible. Postoperative recurrence is common. Antifungal drugs show only limited effect on the disease, but itraconazole and terbinafine hydrochloride are often used for two to three months following surgery. Humans with Basidiobolus infections have been treated with amphotericin B and potassium iodide. For pythiosis and lagenidiosis, a new drug targeting water moulds called caspofungin is available, but it is very expensive. Immunotherapy has been used successfully in humans and horses with pythiosis. Treatment for skin lesions is traditionally with potassium iodide, but itraconazole has also been used successfully.
- ↑ James, William D.; Berger, Timothy G.; et al. (2006). Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: clinical Dermatology. Saunders Elsevier. ISBN 0-7216-2921-0.
- ↑ Prabhu RM, Patel R (March 2004). "Mucormycosis and entomophthoramycosis: a review of the clinical manifestations, diagnosis and treatment". Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 10 (Suppl 1): 31–47. PMID 14748801. doi:10.1111/j.1470-9465.2004.00843.x.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Grooters A (2003). "Pythiosis, lagenidiosis, and zygomycosis in small animals". Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 33 (4): 695–720, v. PMID 12910739. doi:10.1016/S0195-5616(03)00034-2.
- ↑ Hensel P, Greene C, Medleau L, Latimer K, Mendoza L (2003). "Immunotherapy for treatment of multicentric cutaneous pythiosis in a dog". J Am Vet Med Assoc 223 (2): 215–8, 197. PMID 12875449. doi:10.2460/javma.2003.223.215.
- ↑ Nazir Z, Hasan R, Pervaiz S, Alam M, Moazam F. (1997). "Invasive retroperitoneal infection due to Basidiobolus ranarum with response to potassium iodide—case report and review of the literature". Ann Trop Paediatr 17 (2): 161–4. PMID 9230980.
- ↑ Wasim Yusuf N, Assaf HM, Rotowa NA (2003). "Invasive gastrointestinal Basidiobolus ranarum infection in an immunocompetent child". Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 22 (3): 281–2. PMID 12664879. doi:10.1097/00006454-200303000-00017.
- ↑ Mathew R, Kumaravel S, Kuruvilla S et al. (2005). "Successful treatment of extensive basidiobolomycosis with oral itraconazole in a child". Int. J. Dermatol. 44 (7): 572–5. PMID 15985026. doi:10.1111/j.1365-4632.2004.02419.x.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.