Esthesioneuroblastoma is a rare form of cancer involving nasal cavity and believed to arise from the olfactory epithelium. It can cause loss of vision, and taste.
It is often considered synonymous with "olfactory neuroblastoma", but the tissue of origin is not yet well characterized. Associated with Trisomy 8.
It was first characterized in 1924.
According to the BBC, only 200 cases of the disease have been recorded worldwide in the past two decades.
A 1997 literature search identified 1,457 cases in the published literature since its discovery in 1924, however 487 were cited in more than one paper, bringing the total of reported cases to 945.
Several surgical approaches have been described, but post-excision recurrence rates have remained relatively high.
The disease was brought into prominence by the case of Chantal Sébire, who was suffering from the disease and ended her life after being denied euthanasia.
- ^ Sharma S, Sharma MC, Johnson MH, Lou M, Thakar A, Sarkar C (2007). "Esthesioneuroblastoma - a clinicopathologic study and role of DNA topoisomerase alpha" (TEMPLATE:DATE=APRIL 2009 &NDASH; SCHOLAR SEARCH). Pathol. Oncol. Res. 13 (2): 123–9. PMID 17607373. doi:10.1007/BF02893487.
- ^ http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/articles/2008/03/18/1205602424048.html
- ^ "Medcyclopaedia - Esthesioneuroblastoma". Archived from the original on 2012-02-05. Retrieved 2008-03-22.
- ^ "Esthesioneuroblastoma". Retrieved 2008-03-22.
- ^ Berger L, Luc G, Richard D. L'esthésioneuroépithéliome olfactif. Bull Assoc Franç Étude Cancer 1924;13:410-421.
- ^ "Tumour woman's death not natural". BBC News. 2008-03-21. Retrieved 2008-03-22.
- ^ Broich G, Pagliari A, Ottaviani F (1997). "Esthesioneuroblastoma: a general review of the cases published since the discovery of the tumour in 1924". Anticancer Res. 17 (4A): 2683–706. PMID 9252701.
- ^ Vergani F, Pirola E, Fiori L, Pagni F, Parmigiani F, Sganzerla EP (2007). "Combined transcranial and endoscopic nasal resection for esthesioneuroblastoma. Technical note". J Neurosurg Sci 51 (2): 99–102. PMID 17571044.
- ^ Unger F, Walch C, Stammberger H, Papaefthymiou G, Haselsberger K, Pendl G (2001). "Olfactory neuroblastoma (esthesioneuroblastoma): report of six cases treated by a novel combination of endoscopic surgery and radiosurgery". Minim Invasive Neurosurg 44 (2): 79–84. PMID 11487789. doi:10.1055/s-2001-16000.
- ^ Cakmak O, Ergin NT, Yilmazer C, Kayaselçuk F, Barutcu O (2002). "Endoscopic removal of esthesioneuroblastoma". Int. J. Pediatr. Otorhinolaryngol. 64 (3): 233–8. PMID 12090952. doi:10.1016/S0165-5876(02)00036-8.
- ^ Prasad KC, Kumar A, Prasad SC, Jain D (2007). "Endoscopic-assisted excision of esthesioneuroblastoma". J Craniofac Surg 18 (5): 1034–8. PMID 17912077. doi:10.1097/scs.0b013e318157264c.
- ^ Tumour woman's death not natural BBC 21 March 2008