European Regional Airlines Association
Founded in 1980, European Regions Airline Association, ERA, is a non-profit trade association representing almost 200 companies involved in European air transport, including airlines, airframe and engine manufacturers, airports, suppliers and service providers from all over Europe.
The Association promotes the interests of intra-European airlines by lobbying the European Commission and other European regulatory bodies on policy matters, promoting the social and economic importance of air transport and its environmental commitments, holding an annual conference and other networking events, publishing a monthly journal and providing expert advice and guidance on all air transport regulatory matters.
- ERA was founded in Switzerland in 1980 with 5 airline members
- In 1987 ERA moved to Fairoaks Airport near Chobham Surrey, United Kingdom. The company is now currently located in offices in Lightwater, Surrey.
- Today, ERA is the largest body representing the interests of regional airlines in Europe
- Simon McNamara is Director General of ERA, with Boet Kreiken, KLM Managing Director as President
- ERA currently has nearly 200 members, including 51 airlines and 21 airports
ERA is governed by a Board, which is elected from and by the membership each year. The Board is responsible for overseeing the activities and strategy of the Association.
The ERA Directorate works on behalf of its members and the Board. The Directorate comprises the following departments:
- Regulatory Affairs (Industry Affairs and Technical Services)
- Business Development (Corporate Communications and ERA Communications Ltd)
REGULATORY AFFAIRS Industry Affairs This department handles all issues concerning air transport policy; airports and ground operations; environmental issues; airspace issues (e.g. SESAR); user charges and traffic statistics.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT This department incorporates membership recruitment and retention and ERA conferences and events, including the annual General Assembly and the Regional Airline Conference.
Corporate Communications Corporate Communications covers all electronic communications, including the ERA website and weekly News Updates; media relations; the ERA Awards Programme; Crisis communications and all other press and PR activities.
ERA Communications Ltd This is a separate arm of the Directorate which is responsible for producing ERA's monthly members magazine, Regional International, and the annual Yearbook directory.