Doubront warming up on September 28, 2011
Toronto Blue Jays
Born: October 23, 1987|
|June 18, 2010 for the Boston Red Sox|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.78|
Career highlights and awards
Félix Antonio Doubront [doo-Bront] (born October 23, 1987) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher in the Toronto Blue Jays organization. Listed at 6'2", 200 lb., Doubront bats and throws left-handed. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs.
Doubront was 17 years old when he entered the minors in 2005 with the VSL Red Sox (rookie), playing for them one year before joining the GCL Red Sox (rookie, 2006), Lowell Spinners (A–, 2006–2007), Greenville Drive (A, 2007–2008) and Lancaster JetHawks (A+, 2008). His most productive season came in 2008, when he posted a combined 13–9 record with a 3.76 ERA in 119 ⅓ innings of work.
Boston Red Sox
He made his Major League debut on June 18, 2010, against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Doubront pitched five innings, gave up three earned runs, walked two, and struck out two for the win. It was a spot start and Doubront was optioned back to Pawtucket after the game. He was later recalled on July 5 after Clay Buchholz joined a long list of banged-up Red Sox players to go on the disabled list. Doubront made two more starts and lost both of them before being optioned on July 17. He was recalled August 6, and returned to the Red Sox roster as a reliever.
Doubront entered the 2012 season as one of the Red Sox starters, beating out Aaron Cook and Alfredo Aceves in spring training. Despite slow starts for Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester, and Daniel Bard's demotion to the minors, Doubront got off to a good start, earning 5 wins and 2 losses in his first ten starts. In June, Doubront took a no hitter into the sixth inning against the Miami Marlins. He finished the game giving up two runs on three hits and earned a win. He ended the season with a positive first year having a full-time starting job, with a record of 11-10.
Doubront turned in another effective season in 2013, posting an 11-6 record over 27 starts for a Red Sox team that would win 97 games and a World Championship. Doubront pitched out of the bullpen in the postseason, earning his first career postseason victory in Game 4 of the 2013 World Series.
Doubront struggled to start the 2014 season. In May he left a game after experiencing discomfort in his left shoulder, later attributed to hitting it on a car door. He would later lose his spot in the starting rotation due to his inconsistency. He criticized the decision, stating “First of all, I’m not a reliever... They [the Red Sox] know that. They just, you know, it’s hard but I don’t know what they’re doing. I know they’re not doing the right thing for me." After allowing 6 runs in 2⁄3 of an inning against the Toronto Blue Jays on July 28, Doubront had a meeting with manager John Farrell, and two days later he was traded.
On July 30, 2014, Doubront was traded to the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named later (Marco Hernandez). He was placed on the disabled list on August 1 without having played for the Cubs. He was activated from the disabled list on August 30.
The Cubs released Doubront on March 28, 2015.
Toronto Blue Jays
On April 2, 2015, Doubront signed a minor league contract with the Toronto Blue Jays, and was assigned to the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. On May 13 he was activated off the disabled list and made his Bisons debut, pitching 5 shutout innings and allowing only 1 hit and 1 walk.
Doubront's main pitches are a four-seam and two-seam fastball that range between 90–95 mph. He also throws a cut fastball (87–89), a big curveball (76–80), and a changeup (85–88) that is used mostly against right-handed hitters. His deceptive delivery results in hitters not being able to pick up the ball until late. The late pick-up also makes his fastball look faster to opposing hitters.
|This biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2015)|
- 2005 - BRS Minor League Latin pitcher of the month (July)
- 2005 - BRS Minor League Latin pitcher of the year
- 2006 - BRS prospects All-Star (LH starting pitcher)
- 2008 - BRS prospects pitcher of the week (July 28 - August 3)
- 2008 - BRS prospects pitcher of the week (August 18–24)
- 2008 - BRS prospects All-Star (starting pitcher)
- 2008 - South Atlantic League All-Star
- 2009 - Portland Sea Dogs Pitcher of the Year
- "Ortiz homers as Red Sox beat Dodgers in Manny return". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 18, 2010. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Chimelis, Ron (June 19, 2010). "Red Sox add reliever Robert Manuel and send Felix Doubront to Triple A". The Republican. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Edes, Gordon (July 5, 2010). "http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5356471". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Red Sox RHP Buchholz ready to return Wednesday". Fox News. Associated Press. July 17, 2010. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- McDonald (August 6, 2010). "Hideki Okajima sent to DL (hamstring)". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Abraham, Peter (April 2, 2012). "Doubront, Bard put in rotation". Boston Globe. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Felix Doubront shines as Red Sox pound reeling Marlins". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 13, 2012. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Felix Doubront Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- Gleeman, Aaron (May 21, 2014). "Felix Doubront hurt his shoulder on a car door". hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- Simmons, Jeff (April 2, 2015). "Person of Interest: The 411 on Felix Doubront". Sportsnet. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- Doyle, Ricky (July 29, 2014). "Felix Doubront, John Farrell Had Meeting After Implosion Vs. Blue Jays". nesn.com. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- Perry, Dayn (July 30, 2014). "Red Sox trade Felix Doubront to Cubs". cbssports.com. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- Cohen, Jay; Golen, Jimmy (July 31, 2014). "Cubs acquire struggling LHP Doubront from Red Sox". ESPN.com. Associated Press. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Wilmoth, Charlie (March 28, 2015). "Cubs Release Felix Doubront". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- Grossman, Jordan (May 13, 2015). "Bisons shut out by Bulls in final game of set". milb.com. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Felix Doubront". BrooksBaseball.net. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/v' not found.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- First Inning chart