Famous Players Film Company
|Founded||May 8, 1912 (103 years, 283 days)|
Hollywood, California, |
The Famous Players Film Company or Celebrated Players was founded in 1912 by Adolph Zukor in partnership with the Frohman brothers, the powerful New York City theatre impresarios. The company advertised "Famous Players in Famous Plays" and its first release was the French film Les Amours de la reine Élisabeth (1912) starring Sarah Bernhardt and Lou Tellegen. Its first actual production was The Count of Monte Cristo (1912, released 1913), directed by Edwin S. Porter and starring James O'Neill, the father of dramatist Eugene O'Neill. The company established a studio on 26th Street in New York City that today is Chelsea Studios.
The company produced both short and feature-length productions. In 1915 the company established Famous Players Fiction Studios at 5300 Melrose Avenue in Hollywood, one of the oldest studios in Hollywood. The studio later became Clune Studio, then California Studio, then Gross-Krasne, followed by Producers Studios Inc., and is now known as Raleigh Studios. The new studio's first film starred Mary Pickford.
- New York: The Movie Lover's Guide: The Ultimate Insider Tour of Movie New York - Richard Alleman - Broadway (February 1, 2005) ISBN 0-7679-1634-4
- Gross-Krasne Buys California Studios. The Billboard (Archive: 1894-1960)64.40 (Nov 29, 1952): 11
- Gary Wayne. "Raleigh Studios". Seeing Stars.com. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- Raleigh Studios[dead link]
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.