Farhan Zaidi is the General Manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Zaidi was born in Canada and raised in the Philippines. He has a Bachelor of Science degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a PHD in economics from the University of California, Berkeley. He briefly worked for the Boston Consulting Group and the Sporting News website between MIT and Berkeley.
While at Berkeley, he read the book Moneyball and it changed his life. He saw a job posting for a baseball operations position with the Oakland Athletics and sent out his resume, beating out 1,000 other applicants for the job. He was a data analysis sabermetrics assistant when he started. His boss with the Athletics, Billy Beane called him "absolutely brilliant" and credited him with the acquisition of Cuban star Yoenis Céspedes.
For the 2013 season he was promoted by the Athletics to the post of Director of Baseball Operations and added Assistant General Manager to his title in 2014.
On November 6, 2014, he was hired by the Los Angeles Dodgers as their new General Manager.
Zaidi is one of two Muslim executives in Major League Baseball. He is of Pakistani ancestry. He is the first Muslim General Manager of any American pro sports franchise.
- ^ a b c Kennedy, Brendan (May 24, 2014). "Oakland A’s executive changing the face of baseball". Toronto Star. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- ^ a b c Hecht Maxwell, Jill (April 19, 2011). "Farhan Zaidi '98". Technology Review. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- ^ a b "AP source: Dodgers hiring A's Farhan Zaidi as GM". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 4, 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- ^ "An Interview with Farhan Zaidi of the Oakland A’s". sabernomics.com. May 25, 2005. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- ^ a b Slusser, Susan (February 4, 2014). "A's exec GM Farhan Zaidi takes old- and new-school approach". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- ^ "Exclusive: A’s Director of Baseball Operations Farhan Zaidi Talks Top Prospects with A’s Farm – Part 1". A's Farm. March 7, 2013. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- ^ Lockard, Melissa (February 19, 2014). "Oakland A's Spring Q&A: Farhan Zaidi, Part 1". scout.com. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- ^ "Dodgers hire Farhan Zaidi as GM". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 6, 2014.