Ferrari 246 F1
|Chassis||Tubular aluminium body on chassis composed of two main elliptic tubes and other small tubes to form a light, rigid structure|
|Suspension (front)||double wishbones, coil springs, telescopic dampers and anti-roll bar|
|Suspension (rear)||DeDion axle, transverse upper leaf spring, two longitudinal radius arms, Houdaille lever dampers|
|Engine||Ferrari Dino Type 246, Script error: No such module "convert"., 65° V6, naturally aspirated Mid-engine, longitudinally mounted|
|Transmission||Ferrari Type 523 4-speed manual|
Scuderia Sant Ambroeus
23x15px Luigi Musso|
23x15px Peter Collins
23x15px Mike Hawthorn
23x15px Wolfgang von Trips
23x15px Olivier Gendebien
23x15px Phil Hill
|Debut||1958 Argentine Grand Prix|
The Ferrari 246 F1 was a Ferrari racing car built for the Formula One World Championship of 1958. The regulations for 1954–1960 limited naturally aspirated engines to 2500 cc and for the 1958 season there was a change from alcohol fuels to AvGas.
The 246 used a 2417 cc Dino V6 engine with a 65° angle between the cylinder banks. This was the first use of a V6 engine in a Formula One car, but otherwise the 246 was a conventional front-engine design. The Ferrari 246 was good enough to win a World Championship for Mike Hawthorn and a second place in the Constructors' Championship for Ferrari.
The Ferrari 246 was not only the first V6-engined car to win a Formula One Grand Prix, the French Grand Prix at Reims in 1958, it was also the last front-engined car to win a Formula One Grand Prix. This occurred at the 1960 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, where the major British teams boycotted the race.
In 1960, the Ferrari 246 designation was also used for the first mid-/rear-engined Ferrari, the 246P Formula One car (using same Dino V6 engine of 2417 cc), and then again in 1966 for Ferrari's first three-litre era Formula One car.