Fisheries science - Related Links
Open Access Articles- Top Results for Fisheries science
Journal of Computer Science & Systems BiologyMolecular Docking Studies of Type III Secretion System Effector Sopb Homolog in Vibrio vulnificus
|This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2011)|
Fisheries science is the academic discipline of managing and understanding fisheries. It is a multidisciplinary science, which draws on the disciplines of limnology, oceanography, freshwater biology, marine biology, conservation, ecology, population dynamics, economics and management to attempt to provide an integrated picture of fisheries. In some cases new disciplines have emerged, as in the case of bioeconomics and fisheries law.
Fisheries science is typically taught in a university setting, and can be the focus of an undergraduate, master's or Ph.D. program. Some universities offer fully integrated programs in fisheries science.
Fisheries research vessels (FRVs) require platforms which are capable of towing different types of fishing nets, collecting plankton or water samples from a range of depths, and carrying acoustic fish-finding equipment. Fisheries research vessels are often designed and built along the same lines as a large fishing vessel, but with space given over to laboratories and equipment storage, as opposed to storage of the catch.
Members of this list meet one or more of the following criteria: 1) Author of widely cited peer reviewed articles on fisheries, 2) Author of major reference work in fisheries, 3) Founder of major fisheries journal, museum or other related organisation 4) Person most notable for other reasons who has also worked in fisheries science.
|Baird, Spencer F||American||1823||1887||Founding scientist of the United States Fish Commission|
|Baranov, Fedor I||Russian||1886||1965||Baranov has been called the grandfather of fisheries population dynamics. The Baranov catch equation of 1918 is perhaps the most used equation in fisheries modelling.|
|Beverton, Ray||English||1922||1985||Fisheries biologist known for the Beverton–Holt model (with Sidney Holt), credited with being one of the founders of fisheries science|
|Christensen, Villy||Danish||-||Fisheries scientist and ecosystem modeller, known for his work on the development of Ecopath|
|Cobb, John N||American||1868||1930||Founder of the first college of fisheries in the United States, the University of Washington College of Fisheries, in 1919|
|Cooke, Steven J||Canadian||1974||Academic known for contributions to recreational fisheries science, inland fisheries and Conservation Physiology|
|Cushing, David||English||1920||2008||Fisheries biologist, who is credited with the development of the match/mismatch hypothesis|
|Everhart, W Harry||American||1918||1994||Fisheries scientist, educator, administrator and author of several widely used fisheries texts|
|Froese, Rainer||German||1950||-||Known for his work on the development and coordination of FishBase|
|Green, Seth||American||1817||1888||Pioneer in fish farming who established the first fish hatchery in the United States|
|Halver, John||American||1922||2012||His pioneering work on the nutritional needs of fish led to modern methods of fish farming and fish feed production. He has been called the father of fish nutrition.|
|Hempel, Gotthilf||German||1929||-||Marine biologist and oceanographer, and co-founder of the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research|
|Herwig, Walther||German||1838||1912||Lawyer and promoter of high seas fishing and research|
|Hilborn, Ray||Canadian||1947||-||Fisheries biologist with strong contributions in fisheries management|
|Hjort, Johan||Norwegian||1869||1948||Fisheries biologist, marine zoologist and oceanographer|
|Hofer, Bruno||German||1861||1916||Fishery scientist credited with being the founder of fish pathology|
|Holt, Sidney||English||1926||-||Fisheries biologist known for the Beverton–Holt model (with Ray Beverton), credited with being one of the founders of fisheries science|
|Kils, Uwe||German||-||Marine biologist specializing in planktology. Inventor of the ecoSCOPE|
|Lackey, Robert T||Canadian||1944||-||Fisheries scientist and political scientist known for his work involving the role of science in policy making|
|Margolis, Leo||Canadian||1927||1997||Parasitologist and head of the Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo, British Columbia|
|McKay, R J||Australian||Biologist and a specialist in translocated freshwater fishes|
|Myers, Ransom A||Canadian||1952||2007||Marine biologist and conservationist|
|Pauly, Daniel||French||1946||Prominent fisheries scientist, known for his work studying human impacts on global fisheries|
|Pitcher, Tony J||-||Known for work on the impacts of fishing, management appraisals and the shoaling behavior of fish|
|Rice, Michael A||American||1955||-||Known for work on molluscan fisheries|
|Ricker, Bill||Canadian||1908||2001||Fisheries biologist, known for the Ricker model, credited with being one of the founders of fisheries science|
|Ricketts, Ed||American||1897||1948||A colourful marine biologist and philosopher who introduced ecology to fisheries science.|
|Roberts, Callum||-||Marine conservation biologist, known for his work on the role marine reserves play in protecting marine ecosystems|
|Rosenthal, Harald||German||1937||-||Hydrobiologist known for his work in fish farming and ecology|
|Safina, Carl||American||1955||-||Author of several writings on marine ecology and the ocean|
|Sars, Georg Ossian||Norwegian||1837||1927||Marine biologist credited with the discovery of a number of new species and known for his analysis of cod fisheries|
|Schaefer, Milner Baily||American||1912||1970||Notable for work on the population dynamics of fisheries|
|Schweder, Tore||Norwegian||1943||-||Statistician whose work includes the assessment of marine resources|
|Sumaila, Ussif Rashid||Nigerian||-||Notable for his analysis of the economic aspects of fisheries|
|Utter, Fred M||American||1931||-||Notable as the founding father of the field of fishery genetics and his influence on marine conservation |
|von Bertalanffy, Ludwig||Austrian||1901||1972||Biologist and founder of general systems theory|
|Walters, Carl||American||-||Biologist known for his work involving fisheries stock assessments, the adaptive management concept, and ecosystem modeling|
Some journals about fisheries are
- Journal of Fisheries
- Fishery Bulletin
- Fisheries Oceanography
- Journal of the Fisheries Research Board
- Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
- Transactions of the American Fisheries Society
- Fisheries Management and Ecology
- Fish and Fisheries
- Journal of Fish Biology
- Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science
- Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
- The Open Fish Science Journal
- African Journal of Tropical Hydrobiology and Fisheries
- ICES Journal of Marine Science
- Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries
- International journal of fisheries and aquaculture
- Reviews in Fisheries Science
- World Council of Fisheries Societies
- American Fisheries Society
- The Fisheries Society of the British Isles
- The Japanese Society of Fisheries Science
- The Australian Society for Fish Biology
- Fisheries management
- Fisheries and aquaculture research institutes
- International Council for the Exploration of the Sea
- Fisheries Law
- The Fisheries Law Centre
- Quinn, Terrance J. II (2003). "Ruminations on the development and future of population dynamics models in fisheries". Natural Resource Modeling 16 (4): 341–392. doi:10.1111/j.1939-7445.2003.tb00119.x.
- American Fisheries Society, National Fish Culture Hall of Fame, Spearfish, S.D. 2000
- Ed Ricketts’ death, 50 years ago last week, preceded that of Cannery Row by only a few months. – Eric Enno Tamm (2005) Monterey County Weekly.
- History Makers: Honorable Mentions NOAA. Updated: 19 July 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Hart, Paul J B and Reynolds, John D (2002) Handbook of Fish Biology and Fisheries, Chapter 1, The human dimensions of fisheries science. Blackwell Publishing. ISBN 0-632-06482-X
- Megrey BA and Moksness E (eds) (2009) Computers in Fisheries Research second edition, Springer. ISBN 978-1-4020-8635-9. doi:10.1007/978-1-4020-8636-6_1
- Pauly, D and Palomares, M L D (eds) (2002) Production Systems in Fishery Management UBC Fisheries Centre Research Reports 10(8).
- Payne A, Cotter AJR, Cotter J and Potter T (2008) Advances in fisheries science: 50 years on from Beverton and Holt John Wiley and Sons. ISBN 978-1-4051-7083-3.</dl>
- Fisheries science at DMOZ
- The Sea Ahead... learning from the past. A web site of the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies promoting ecosystem-based fisheries science.
- What is fisheries science?
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).