Focke-Wulf Fw 300
|Focke-Wulf Fw 300|
||Status||Primary user|| Number built
|| Developed from
The Focke-Wulf Fw 300 was a proposed very-long-range civil airliner, transport, reconnaissance aircraft and anti-ship aircraft designed by Focke-Wulf in 1941 and 1942. The design was intended to replace the Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor.
Design and development
The proposed Fw 300 had an all-metal airframe, a low-wing cantilever configuration, and a pressurized fuselage possessing a smoothly contoured forward fuselage and nose, somewhat reminiscent of the Boeing Stratocruiser airliner in shape. Space was provided for up to 50 passengers in individual compartments. The landing gear was retractable. Four wing-mounted piston engines were proposed to drive the aircraft. Two engine candidates were:
- The highly experimental Junkers Jumo 222, a 24-cylinder "multibank" inline engine (six inline banks of four cylinders each, arranged at 60º intervals around the crankcase), rated at 1,864 kW (2,500 hp), which in the event never proceeded to the production stage during the course of the war with just under 300 examples built in several different versions;
- The Daimler-Benz DB 603, a 12-cylinder inverted-vee engine rated at 1,342 kW (1,800 hp) and the largest displacement inverted V12 aviation powerplant built by Germany in World War II.
Both engines were liquid-cooled.
In the proposed military configuration, the eight-man crew were to have been enclosed in one pressure cabin and the defensive gun armament operated remotely. For anti-ship missions, it would have carried guided missiles.
Design work continued during the first years of the war, but was shelved as the need for long-range bombers or other long-range efforts diminished and other priorities emerged, construction of a prototype was never started.
- Crew: 8
- Length: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Wingspan: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Height: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Wing area: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Gross weight: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Powerplant: 4 × Junkers Jumo 9-222 24-cyl. 6-bank inline liquid-cooled piston engines, Script error: No such module "convert". each
- or 4 x Script error: No such module "convert". Daimler-Benz DB 603E inverted V-12 liquid-cooled piston engines
- Maximum speed: Script error: No such module "convert".
- Range: Script error: No such module "convert".</ul>Armament
- Related development
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Related lists
- Herwig, Dieter and Rode, Heinz. Luftwaffe Secret Projects - Strategic Bombers 1935-45. Midland Publishing Ltd., 2000. ISBN 1-85780-092-3.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Focke-Wulf.|